Rub a Dub Dub - 175/65/14!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rub a Dub Dub - 175/65/14!

OK, just put on the new 14" rims with 175/65/14 tires....

All I can say is... major rub a dub dubbing going on.

I have 102k on my stock festiva suspension. Maybe it is getting worn out? Maybe these rims / tires are just not a good combination?

Are the Aspire struts stiffer than a stock festiva? Does it raise the ride height at all?

If my suspension really is "shot" I'll replace it..... I don't want to get into a complete swap.

The back seems to be rubbing on outter fenders. If the car was 2" higher, this wouldn't be an issue.

Front seems to rub if I hit a big bump or turn into my driveway.

How might one go about RAISING the car 2"? It is either do that, or try to sell my brand new tires & used rims and just stick with the 12" rims / tires.

I've already put a lot of $$ into the rims / tires, and will most likely lose $$ if I try to craigslist em.

Suggestions? Maybe just stiffer springs front & back?

Thanks everyone!
    ~Phil
    My Whips:

What offset are the wheels? I've run 175/65s on a couple of stock festivas with crappy suspension and never had a problem. Both sets of wheels were off a Nissan Stanza, offset I think is +40... if its a lower offset then the wheels may be sticking out farther and thats whats making them hit the fenders.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Heading out into the cold right now to put the 12's back on to make it driveable.... I'll measure the offset when I get em off and post.

~Phil

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
      What offset are the wheels? I've run 175/65s on a couple of stock festivas with crappy suspension and never had a problem. Both sets of wheels were off a Nissan Stanza, offset I think is +40... if its a lower offset then the wheels may be sticking out farther and thats whats making them hit the fenders.
      My Whips:

Comment

If you have sagging old suspension then maybe new springs would help lift it. If you went to Aspire springs they'd lift you up a bit too high and you'd have problems with too much front camber.

Putting on Aspire rear struts and springs might help your back end, but that's primarily to keep the tires from rubbing the lower strut perches. You say your problem is rubbing on the fender edges, so that may not help, or not help enough.

If the offset is not at least 35 to 38mm, then that is probably why you are fender rubbing: the wheels are sticking out too far.

Do you know what car your wheels came off of? If so, you should be able to look the offset up.

I reread your words and looked more at your picture. You might put in Aspire rear struts and uncut Aspire springs in the back and roll the fenders. The Aspire rear struts will raise the springs about 3/4".

For the front, use cut Aspire front springs. I'd try cutting them 3/4 of one coil to see if it helps without raising it too much. The cost of a set of used springs and a baseball bat (for rolling fenders from what I've heard-never done it myself) should not break your bank. (It's hard to know without seeing it myself.)

I suspect your wheels do not have enough positive offset and may be less than 35mm. This will likely create fitment problems.

Karl
        Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-02-2011, 06:27 PM.
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

OK, not sure if I did it 100% correct but I think I have a 31.75mm offset??

Rims are about 6.5" wide total.

I measured 4.5" from back of rim to mounting surface.

4.5 - (half total width) 3.25 = 1.25in. = 31.75mm < offset

What year Nissan Stanza did you get the rims from? I'll try looking for different rims, just would hate to spend the money on them and have other issues with rubbing somewhere else........

~Phil
          My Whips:

Comment

'90 to '92 Stanza. I like Stanzas because if you can find some with decent tires in the yard they bolt right onto a stock festiva, since the factory tire size was 175/65R14 and the bolt pattern is 4x114.3.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

If you get junkyard tires on rims, also check the age of the tires on the sidewall. You'll see something like (2306) inside an oval or oblong shaped stamp. (That would be the 23rd week of 2006.). The first two numbers are the week (remember there are 52 weeks in a year) and the last two are the year. Tires over 10 years old will have three numbers, like (239). (That would be the 23rd week of 1999).

I'd stick with tires under four or five years old. Checking the treadwear and for dry rot is essential, too.

As for measuring your wheels for offset, you would probably do better to find out what they came off of and look it up, although you are probably close to the actual measure. I suspect you are somewhere closer to a 30mm offset than 32mm.

Again, you could see about rolling your fender lips, too.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Sneaking out of work for a bit tomorrow and running to the junk yard to grab some Aspire springs & struts.... If they give me a good price I'll grab the entire front and rear brake / suspension setup.

That should hopefully fix my rubbing once and for all........ and maybe give the car a better feel. Right now if I shift quick, the car bobs forward and back pretty easily.
                Last edited by hckrphil; 01-04-2011, 06:02 PM.
                My Whips:

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                  If you have sagging old suspension then maybe new springs would help lift it. If you went to Aspire springs they'd lift you up a bit too high and you'd have problems with too much front camber.

Putting on Aspire rear struts and springs might help your back end, but that's primarily to keep the tires from rubbing the lower strut perches. You say your problem is rubbing on the fender edges, so that may not help, or not help enough.

If the offset is not at least 35 to 38mm, then that is probably why you are fender rubbing: the wheels are sticking out too far.

Do you know what car your wheels came off of? If so, you should be able to look the offset up.

I reread your words and looked more at your picture. You might put in Aspire rear struts and uncut Aspire springs in the back and roll the fenders. The Aspire rear struts will raise the springs about 3/4".

For the front, use cut Aspire front springs. I'd try cutting them 3/4 of one coil to see if it helps without raising it too much. The cost of a set of used springs and a baseball bat (for rolling fenders from what I've heard-never done it myself) should not break your bank. (It's hard to know without seeing it myself.)

I suspect your wheels do not have enough positive offset and may be less than 35mm. This will likely create fitment problems.

Karl
                  I, and several members on here, have the Aspire struts/springs, both front and rear, without any problems what so ever. My camber is fine. Axles fine.
                  Has raised the car 1 inch and is way stiffer. Actually has a better ride than the stock festy springs, imo. There was a member who had Kia Rio struts without cutting coils, he had axle problems. (and prolly camber issues too)
                  I tried Kia Rio struts, without cutting coils to see where it sat. Wow, it was like 3 inches higher.
                  Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                  Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                  Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                  Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Can't wait get em...... I'll keep everyone posted to my find tomorrow when I return
                    My Whips:

Comment

Originally posted by hckrphil View Post
                      OK, not sure if I did it 100% correct but I think I have a 31.75mm offset??

Rims are about 6.5" wide total.

I measured 4.5" from back of rim to mounting surface.

4.5 - (half total width) 3.25 = 1.25in. = 31.75mm < offset

What year Nissan Stanza did you get the rims from? I'll try looking for different rims, just would hate to spend the money on them and have other issues with rubbing somewhere else........

~Phil
                      Phil, take a picture of the wheels/tires installed.

4.5" backspace on a 5.5" wheel is closer to 44mm offset. The offset is measured to the inside lip of the wheel where the tire bead sits (that's also how the 5.5" measurement comes up). I would imagine that the front wheels are rubbing the inner wheel well and the rear tires are hitting the spring perch.
                      Oscar

Comment

Oscar...... I believe I may be hitting the inner wheel well in the front (on a MAJOR bump or turn)..... but I'm def. hitting the fenders in the rear.....

~Phil

Originally posted by perucho View Post
                        Phil, take a picture of the wheels/tires installed.

4.5" backspace on a 5.5" wheel is closer to 44mm offset. The offset is measured to the inside lip of the wheel where the tire bead sits (that's also how the 5.5" measurement comes up). I would imagine that the front wheels are rubbing the inner wheel well and the rear tires are hitting the spring perch.
                        My Whips:

Comment

Where are you hitting the fenders? That size tire will hit the last bumper mounting bolt. Check the back of the fender where the bumper mount is. If it is hitting the fender lip, then my calcs are off and you are right on possibly having a 32mm offset.
                          Oscar

Comment

The tire rubs along the outside lip of the fender. If I stand on the back bumper, drivers' side....... and bounce a little, it def. hits. Maybe that is a little overkill, but easy to see.

Originally posted by perucho View Post
                            Where are you hitting the fenders? That size tire will hit the last bumper mounting bolt. Check the back of the fender where the bumper mount is. If it is hitting the fender lip, then my calcs are off and you are right on possibly having a 32mm offset.
                            My Whips:

Comment

Front wheel clearance with passenger wheel fully turned. No load on suspension.

Last edited by hckrphil; 01-05-2011, 08:28 PM.
                              My Whips:

Comment

Working...
                              X