Right CV axle installation woes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right CV axle installation woes!

I got my left side CV in easy. My right one won't go in.

At first I tried to install an auto axle. Yeah, I know. I figured that mistake out and bought the proper MTX axle. I've been trying to put it in for several days now.

My Dad is over and we tried again. I took off a splash shield and the right strut to get them out of the way for better slamming room. Still no go!

I took some pics. Maybe someone can see something wrong.

This is as far as it goes in:

Here are several views of the differential hole, straight on first:

From the sides now for angled views from front and back:

Any ideas what is going on here, or am I just incompetent?

FYI, I did use inserts in the axle holes during MTX removal and I never had these problems with my ATX swap put together. I don't think any bearings fell out of place, but I am not experienced enough to tell.

Also, I am putting the circlip open space towards the top like the book says to do, but I also have tried it other ways. No luck.

Thanks,

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-05-2011, 08:20 AM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Check the splines on the axle and make sure there not misaligned. My brother bought a brand new axle for my bp festy and it wouldnt go in because of a manufactures flaw. The splines were twisted. Also try rotating the axle while shoving in. That sometimes seems to help.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Thanks! However...

while you posted we were out installing the hood and trying the axle again.

FINALLY!! It went in. I repositioned myself longitudinally (lying more in line with the axle and out from under the car more) and I think that gave me a better purchase to slam it home.

Whew.

Hood went on easy though.

Thanks again 91 festy! Good point about the messed up splines. I once got a water pump that had a big hairline crack in it. Fortunately I found it before my first engine swap install!

Karl
      Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-05-2011, 08:48 AM.

Comment

I've had this problem before. Just keep spinning it and wiggling it once you feel it start to go give it some taps on the end that circlip is sometimes a pain.
        1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Glad it went in for you!
          89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
          My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

This had my stymied for over a week! I feel a lot better now. I can begin finishing!

We took a couple pics of my body position "poor" and "successful" and I'll post them soon and link to this thread from my build thread here:

Members Builds (questions about repair or how to do something belong in the proper forum)

I want to document my silly problems for any newbies wanting to do work, an engine swap, or a 3/4 shebang rebuild like I'm doing to Aqua. Making up for not doing it for my first engine swap, too. (Lost those pics.)

Thanks again guys!

Karl
            Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-05-2011, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Okay, besides the advice I was given above, I'll post two pics of how I went about installing my right side CV. The first pic was my body position under the car for the first several hundred attempts to install the axle:

Note that I'm more under the front of the car and ahead of the part I'm handling (the axle). That was probably fine for installing the smaller, lighter, easier to handle left side CV axle, but I think my main problem was one of "installation ergonomics" shall we say.

I succeeded when I repositioned myself more to the side of the car and in line with the work that I wanted to do. Think of comparing pushing a car from the very middle of the front end vs. halfway off the right fender! When you align all your "main working parts" (in the case of CV installation, your arms and body) to accomplish a task, it should become easier.

So note my position in the next pic:

By putting myself in line with the large axle, I had better control of it and was apparently able to get more force to pop it in. After I put myself in this position it only took about three or four tries to succeed.

Maybe some more accomplished mechanics can add to my idea here. I wonder if this is taught in mechanics' schools or just something one comes up with by experience?

Anyways, if you are having trouble, try this and see if it helps! My Dad (who took the pics) also said I might have been twisting the axle upon insertion, too. At any rate, I'm a lot happier now.

Thanks again!

Karl
              Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-05-2011, 09:29 AM.

Comment

axle call me 440-390-2542

call me ill tell u how

Comment

Welcome Duane!

Thanks for the offer, but I already got the axle in!

Karl

Comment

Ive never had a problem sitting up and looking in towards the trans. Giving a constant push on it while tapping (beating) on the end with a hammer.

I pulled the axles on a dodge shadow once and they didnt have a circlip. They went in/out with little force.
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost
                    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I wonder if you could dremel-sand-grind a little chamfer around the leading edge of the circlip?

Comment

Working...
                      X