Radiator support.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator support.

When i got the festiva the previous owner had smashed in the radiator support and the lower section where the bracket connects to the peice of metal that goes up to the hood latch. So i bought a whole new radiator support and does anyone have a photo of how that middle peice of metal is attached to the lower part of the radiator support, i get the idea just want to see how it actually is.

Cheers, nick.
    Last edited by NicholasJackson; 01-06-2011, 01:14 AM. Reason: misspelling
    93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
    98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
    98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

yes there should be a vertical support bar that runs right through the middle. make sure you install some kind of support there. my car didn't have that support bar when i bought it, the hood came up. too much bounce in the hood and flexing/stressing the top of the core support the bolts for the hood latch pulled through. good thing was i wasn't moving very fast and the release cable didn't get pulled so it was still latched.

Comment

R34, that's interesting on the hood shake problem without the center support. Now we know why it's there!

Nicholas, I'll try to get you some pictures today of my '92L center support. I have my camera and my wire, fortunately!

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

First, the top area:

Note the center nut and the right side (left in photo) bolt hold the top of the center support in place on the latch mechanism.

Then the bottom as seen from behind the grille:

Note there is one bolt holding the bottom of the center support to the lower crosspiece behind the bumper cover. (Also, if the center support piece looks bent, it isn't.)

Finally, the bottom from the front, showing that one metal bolt:

Not shown: One metal screw holds the center of the grille onto the upper middle of the center support.

I hope these help!
        Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-06-2011, 08:33 AM.
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Yeah it's why i bought a new support because the middle strut wasn't connect because of the damage to the lower support and the top of the radiator support started to droop down.

Cheers karl exactly what i needed, and yeah i have the bolt for the grill.

I was reading your AquaMutt build thread last night, keep up the good work.
          93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
          98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
          98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Comment

That piece is called the lock support. It doesn't really support the lock on all cars but it does on some. Shouldn't be hard to find.
            1992 Flamestiva with matching Festrailer
            1994 Mercury Capri XR2 turbo
            1992 Aerostar "Hot Wheels" custom
            FoMoCo toy car collector for 20 years

Comment

Working...
            X