What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do?

I just bought last week a 93L festival. Going to be my daily driver. I've been reading post and trying to become more familar with these cars and how to improve the fuel economy. But then this week after hitting 70 mph for about 20 minutes then some town driving I got back on the highway and could never get my speed up. Had it floored and only could muster 45 mph then engine stopped running and I coasted into town. The local mechanic did a few tests and found nothing wrong but I have some oil in the anitfreeze. Now seems top speed is 55.
    Do I tear down and rebuild the engine or replace the stock engine? What is the preferred or best engine to replace the stock? I'm looking for the best fuel economy.
    Thanks for any advice

Side note. I want to do the aspire suspension swap. What years of aspire do i look for?
    My 93L has a stock defroster but on the

For best fuel/performance/easiest go with a B6 Swap. It will bump your hp with minimal Mpg penalty, and they aren't hard to find.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

If it's fuel economy your after just replace it with another B3(original festiva engine). They are cheap and sometimes even free.
      91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
      14 C7 Z51

Comment

So....what are you selling?
        Oscar

Comment

Im moving this thread to the repair forum. I think any aspire will do for your brake swap.
          Last edited by freshtiva; 01-06-2011, 06:04 PM.
          sigpic
          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

on the?.....
            Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
            89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
            Projects in the works:
            84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

The loss of speed issue sure sounds like a clogged catalytic converter to me.
              How much oil in the water?? just a little or a bunch?
              Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
              1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Do a complete Diagnostic on the engine, is your Fule filter Pluged? is your Fule Pump working corectly? Do a compression check and check the condition of the plugs. A little bit of oil in the antifreeze might not be anything to worry about...but if you have white oily foam in the radiator.....your looking at a Blown head gasket and possibly a new head.
                My point is find out exactly what is wrong before you start considering engine replacement. The B3 is a good solid engine and can last well beyond 200,000 miles.
                Last edited by wirebrain; 01-07-2011, 09:23 AM.

Comment

my B3 lasted 128000km, the former owner gave it from 0 to none maintenance. I got it and overhault it completely, so i´m targeting to more than 150000km to have to do any mayor engine fix.
                  Like these guys are saying, start with the cheapest thing first, do a full diagnostic and based on that a full tune up or swap or a rebuild or sell it or whatever you want to do.

Comment

If there's nothing wrong you can see mechincally pull the codes. I had a similiar problem the other day in the form of a CEL. It came on and every time you hit the gas it would bog down. Showed the o2 sensor but I already knew that since that was the same problem I had with the other Festiva. Once I got it off the road and shut it off and restarted it was fine though.
                    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

After diagnostics, if you need or just want a new engine, find the best condition/cheapest one of either B3 or B6 type. Fuel economy won't suffer much with the B6 and you'll like the extra power. If you will be adding the Aspire brakes and suspension, then I'd consider the B6 to be optimum to get the most fun with almost stock fuel economy.

But, diagnostics first! Don't force yourself into an engine swap before you're really ready. A good swap is planned out and done carefully instead of rushed!

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

on the... Well I'm trying to learn more about these mighty little beast. My 93L has rear window defrost but on the fuse panel it list rear wiper but I have none. Heater does not work. I wished it had been built in USA but seems this was a Korean build. Does being built in Korea over any advantage over domestic?
                        For the Aspire suspension what years do I look for? Do the Seats outa the Aspire also easily fit in the L?

Comment

Working...
                        X