Junkyard Aspire struts... I got shafted! haha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junkyard Aspire struts... I got shafted! haha

Well, I THOUGHT everything looked good with the aspire struts / springs I bought from the junkyard till I got home.

Then realized the front struts both had broken springs. They broke at the bottom, and when they broke, both sides broke IDENTICAL.... losing about 3/4 of the bottom coil.

The rear springs look ok (I think), however the struts are both shot. Everything looked ok when on the car, pre-pull.

Live and learn I guess.....

How tall do normal Aspire springs stand when not compressed? Mine are showing about 13.25" tall. I know springs get TALLER when they get worn.... and if the fronts were broken, I'm questioning the condition of these.

My Whips:

Could you take them back for credit for '01 or '02 Rio front struts?

Those broken Aspire springs would be almost perfect for a Festiva swap except that if they broke once, they may break again! (I cut one coil off my Aspire springs for my swaps.)

Since Aspire parts are getting old, I intend on mining early Rios for front struts and maybe springs to cut. Compared with the "newest" '97 Aspire, an '02 Rio is quite "new!" The difference in strut bearing swiveling smoothness is incredible.

So far a couple of folks have used Rio front end parts on at least one Festy and one Aspire. They seem to have had no problems.

I can't measure my cut Aspire springs since they are both in my cars. I only have a "freed" pair of Rio front springs that I will experiment with one day.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Say that 4 times fast haha

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
      strut bearing swiveling smoothness
      My Whips:

Comment

I think that's what you should say repeatedly when you take your Aspire struts back for junkyard credit!

Impress the man at the counter.

That and a copy of the picture of flying penguins with Jessica Alba and you can't lose.

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by hckrphil View Post
          How tall do normal Aspire springs stand when not compressed? Mine are showing about 13.25" tall. I know springs get TALLER when they get worn.... and if the fronts were broken, I'm questioning the condition of these.
          how is this possible? i'v never seen a spring grow in length when worn out. physics says it ain't happenin'
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

That's what I was thinking, except for springs that are pulled apart, like the timing belt tensioner spring.

Manuals usually give a measurement and if your old spring is shorter, then you'll need to replace it. One example would be a recoil spring for a gun.

Seems to me suspension springs should get shorter as they age and wear. Look at almost any old K-car's rear end sag and you'll see what happens to old, weak coils.

Karl

Comment

I need another pair of rio front springs for the back of my car...
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Well actually, the spring "unwinds" hence making it longer........ that is what I've been told anyways......

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                how is this possible? i'v never seen a spring grow in length when worn out. physics says it ain't happenin'
                My Whips:

Comment

Originally posted by hckrphil View Post
                  Then realized the front struts both had broken springs. They broke at the bottom, and when they broke, both sides broke IDENTICAL.... losing about 3/4 of the bottom coil.
                  Yep, i'd be taken 'em back! Cant believe they sold them to ya! Thats kinda low life....
                  Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                  Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                  Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                  Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Well, if the buyer didn't notice I doubt the seller would examine them more carefully. However, there should be some sort of return policy allowing a 30 day return for store credit at least. That's how my local PnP works.

Karl

Comment

Working...
                    X