Alternator Belt replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator Belt replacement

Hello All - My 1990 Festy - 91k ...... is dead.

A couple of weeks ago I experienced the loud squealing noise which indicated the alternator belt was worn. I learned that from this repair forum how others experienced the same noise/problem and the recommendation was to replace the alternator belt.

The belt i removed was a GATES 7350 XL. which was installed at 52k. Needless to say i got my use out of it logging close to 40k. Some of the teeth had worn completely off !

I purchased a DAYCO TOP COG 15350 / 11A0890 from Advance Auto parts.

I notice this belt was different than the GATES as it had no teeth and instead was smoothe and ribbed. I replaced it anyway as being a novice i'm thinking its newer technology.

Car ran well on a couple of trips with this belt until this morn. Driving to work....i see the charge light come on. It was very early in the morn. still dark. I had no flash light to see if the belt was turning the pulleys. I'm thinking not. Long story short my battery (which is fairly new) is now dead and the belt looks a lot thinner (i think) than when i replaced it.

I plan on recharging the battery starting the car to see if the belt is moving. I also think i will purchase a GATES or GOODYEAR replacement as I didnt heed that advice in posts from this forum which talked about replacement belts.

Now for the dumb question time....

Any ideas / speculation on what might be my problem ? I'm guessing i may have done something wrong installing the new belt. I can tell you when i installed the new belt ..it took some doing getting the alternator as far back on the tensioner as i could. When i removed the old belt the tensioner was all the way back in the groove. When i installed this new belt i was able to get the Alternator back most of the way..there is a little gap to the end of the groove. Again i'm a novice here..who is just trying to do it myself and save on labor costs.

Appreciate any insight or thoughts..

Make sure you get the proper alternator belt. Unless you have A/C or P/S you'll only need the basic "alternator/water pump" belt. Others will be different lengths and won't work well or at all.

Make sure you double check. I've bought the wrong belts before.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

If the belt wore out that fast there we be some rubber residue on the hood and around the pulleys. Maybe the alt bolts werent tight and loosened back up allowing the belt to slip on the alt pulley. When your alt light come on turn the car off as it will soon overheat if the belt broke.
      sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
      X