Coolant Leak - White Exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant Leak - White Exhaust?

This morning, while admiring my little Festy, I popped the hood to find orange fluid squirting from this (picture attatched). It's blue on top, is connected to the wiring harness and has a lot of vacuum lines connected to it.

It's located (when looking at the engine from the front of the vehicle) to the right of and just below the intake manifold and to the left of the brake master cylinder.

What puzzles me is the thing is connected to vacuum lines... No coolant/antifreeze lines and yet it's spitting it out like a miniature geyser.

The coolant level in the radiator is still full. The orange, murkey color is another question entireley. The coolant and oil haven't mixed though, the oil still looks great.

So...

What is this thing it's shooting from?
    Could the coolant just be ancient, that's why it's orange?
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

That round top blue thing is the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. It must have a coolant line going into it. Otherwise I have no idea why it is leaking.

I bet it's orange colored indicating rust in the fluid.

I'll go out in a few and look at my B3.

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-10-2011, 01:21 PM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

2nd the IAC!
      As you haven't listed the year of your car I assume it is a EFI '90-'93.
      Can only hope that your using orange anti-freeze fluid, otherwise you need to do some serious flushing of your coolant system.
      Last edited by Pu241; 01-10-2011, 04:03 PM.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I went out and looked at both Twin's engine and Aqua's taken out engine. There appear to be two small coolant hoses going into the bottom of the IAC unit.

I then looked it up in my '92 shop manual. Refer to sections 3-04 Fuel Charging and Controls, and the how to take apart/put together section at 3-04-24.

The description is on page 3-04-7 and the schematic on the following page. It seems that the "bypass air flow" (the term the manual uses) is controlled by a thermo wax material inside the IAC unit. Perhaps yours has developed an internal leak? The schematic only shows the two top hoses, which flow air from the air cleaner and to the intake plenum. The two bottom (I can only see one in the schematic, but there would have to be two, plus I think I saw two in the actual units I looked at) hoses would be your coolant lines, providing the IAC valve with the engine temp, which it uses to measure idle air for smooth warmups.

Anyway, yes, there is coolant going to that blue topped part and you probably have a lot of corrosion in your system.

My guess would be to take off your IAC unit, get it checked, or just replace it. Then flush out your whole coolant system and put in fresh coolant.

Karl
        Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-10-2011, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Went to Rockauto to look for part.

Found it:

Try here to see if the page loads:

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

Nope. It just gives you the main catalog page. Go to the usual Ford Festiva and then to the "emission" section. It's the first part listed:

Click on "air check valve."

It's only $368.79. Don't forget to use your 5% off code! :p

Karl
          Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-10-2011, 03:15 PM.

Comment

:tongue9: $368.97?!

Haha, well I think I'll be scouring the junkyard.

It makes sense now. I looked at my FSM for the '93 Festiva and found the name of the thing (IAC) and it's function but couldn't get to it's troubleshooting section before I had to leave for work.

It also makes sense to have white, billowing smoke now. The intake is sucking up all that coolant into the engine and blowing it out the tail pipe.

I'm pretty sure this is the original coolant too. It's NASTY. Fffantastic.
            -Zack

Comment

i have one! 30$ shipped if u cant find one at the jy

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
              1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
              R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
              00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
              03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
              pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
              Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
              Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

It's not the IAC. There is a small coolant hose that runs from the Bypass pipe, right next to it, it comes up and goes under the plenum.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988festivazoom View Post
                  i have one! 30$ shipped if u cant find one at the jy
                  Comes with the coolant lines lol

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
                  1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
                  R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
                  00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
                  03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
                  pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
                  Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
                  Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Hahaha, lemme take another look at it to see if it's something I can fix without replacing.

It might be a loose clamp or something, but I'll PM you soon if I need it, 1988festivazoom!
                    -Zack

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva Time View Post
                      It's not the IAC. There is a small coolant hose that runs from the Bypass pipe, right next to it, it comes up and goes under the plenum.
                      Could that make it spew white smoke like it's eating coolant?
                      -Zack

Comment

Yes, could be a loose clamp or split hose. All I know is that two small coolant hoses enter into the bottom of the IAC assembly. The two top hoses are air.

Karl

Comment

Working...
                        X