Temp gauge not working...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp gauge not working...

Before I start, I want to let you all know i did my research and searched, but couldnt find anything that was similar to whats going on. My temp gauge isnt working like it should, when i bought my 88 Festy, I believe it worked fine. But a couple months ago i realized the gauge rarely ever came up past the bottom white line.

A few months before this, the temp gauge would randomly spike up until i put the clutch in and revved it, which made me think it was the thermostat. So I replaced that, still nothing. Then I replaced the Temp sensor like many of you have, and again... nothing. The needle does still come up, but rarely past the white line. Any suggestions?

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
    91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

What thermostat did you get i read on here (couldn't find it) that an aftermarket one will make it run cool .... you should use one from a dealer if i could find the thread they even posted a part #

Comment

sounds like you are low on coolant, and occassionally getting steam bubbles to it. i don't think it's a gage problem... sounds more like leakage.
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
        sounds like you are low on coolant, and occassionally getting steam bubbles to it. i don't think it's a gage problem... sounds more like leakage.
        I havent seen any loss of coolant though? I topped the radiator off when i replaced the thermostat (which I will see if it is the factory one or not). It still shows that it is fine, as for the steam bubbles, you might be onto something, I just dont know how that occurs?

Comment

Originally posted by devon527 View Post
          Before I start, I want to let you all know i did my research and searched, but couldnt find anything that was similar to whats going on. My temp gauge isnt working like it should, when i bought my 88 Festy, I believe it worked fine. But a couple months ago i realized the gauge rarely ever came up past the bottom white line.

A few months before this, the temp gauge would randomly spike up until i put the clutch in and revved it, which made me think it was the thermostat. So I replaced that, still nothing. Then I replaced the Temp sensor like many of you have, and again... nothing. The needle does still come up, but rarely past the white line. Any suggestions?
          When you say "spike up", do you mean the needle actually went all the way to "hot" side?

This may be a silly question but, does the dash cluster have a built in tach?

If so, you may want to read this;

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by lessersivad View Post
            When you say "spike up", do you mean the needle actually went all the way to "hot" side?

This may be a silly question but, does the dash cluster have a built in tach?

If so, you may want to read this;

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25638
            Nope I do not have a tach cluster, I have the orange cluster. And when i said it spiked up, yes it went all the way to the HOT side. I figured my thermostat had stuck closed therefor making the gauge go up

Comment

Well I got nuthin' else..........

Comment

Thank you anyways fro trying to help me out. Still stumped though, anyone else know what the problem might be?

Comment

Feel the radiator hoses to check the thermostat. When the thermostat opens both will feel warm. Before the thermostat opens only one will feel warm. Forget which one.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

That's assuming the radiator isn't blocked.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

What is your outside temperature?

Here in Arizona, it is 42 Degrees and it takes about 1/2 hour of driving to get it up to max temp (which is the first mark). If it goes above it, I no I have a cooling problem.

If your temp meter moves, it probably has a bad sensor, on the intake manifold.

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva Time View Post
                        What is your outside temperature?

Here in Arizona, it is 42 Degrees and it takes about 1/2 hour of driving to get it up to max temp (which is the first mark). If it goes above it, I no I have a cooling problem.

If your temp meter moves, it probably has a bad sensor, on the intake manifold.
                        Here it is around 35, almost ready to snow again. Wouldnt you want your temp gauge right about in the middle? Every other rig i've driven has been this way, and my buddies Festiva sits in the middle. I just replaced the snesor on the manifold.

Oh and WmWatt, I will check the radiator hoses when i get the chance. Thanks

Comment

the sensor on the manifold is just that, a SENSOR. That provides temp info to the computer. You need to look at the SENDING UNIT, which is near the thermostat housing. There are two up there; one with a blade terminal for the fan, one with a post terminal for the gage. Check the one with the post terminal.
                          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                            the sensor on the manifold is just that, a SENSOR. That provides temp info to the computer. You need to look at the SENDING UNIT, which is near the thermostat housing. There are two up there; one with a blade terminal for the fan, one with a post terminal for the gage. Check the one with the post terminal.
                            I'll try my best to find the post terminal that you are talking about, but pictures would be awsome

Comment

There is a photo in the Haynes manual. Looking from the front one is near the right top end of the block, the other is just to the right on the thermostat housing.

Comment

Working...
                              X