Completely baffled with temps/tstat/heat etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely baffled with temps/tstat/heat etc

Well...a month or so ago i replaced the tstat because my heat sucks. I usually start there before i hit the heater core. No change. So today i got a hair up my ass in 20 degree snow and decided to pull the new one out and boil it with a thermometer and see when it opens, along with the one i pulled out which i believe is OE. They both opened right around 195-200 degrees which i figure is about right for a 195. So, the OE tstat looked like the 2 stage everyone talks about, and after testing it several times to make sure it opens and closes, i put it back in instead of the new one because it seemed like my heat was better before hand.

So, i get it all back together and i'm topping off the coolant and decide to stick my thermometer down in the radiator to see what temp the coolant is. My gauge had just barely started to move...so i was shocked when my thermometer pegged at 220 degrees. My heat was still cool, the fan hadn't kicked on yet, and it didn't appear that the tstat had opened yet. So, i tried another thermometer and got the same results. I let it run and the gauge eventually got up in the normal range and the fan eventually kicked on, and my heat came up to a so-so level...nothing spectacular but enough to warm it up and defrost the windows.

I am, totally confused.

Oh, and Advanced wants $101 for a heater core :roll:

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

just replaced mine... was $108 out the door... new heater core works awesome!
    I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Damn man! That's insane! That's 1/8 of what i paid for the damn car. I'll try flushing it out with CLR first.

Comment

Try flushing the core by pulling both the heater hoses and running water hose into one side. You'll at the very least be able to see what kind of flow there is through it.

Do the heater hoses get hot at the fire wall?
        1992 Flamestiva with matching Festrailer
        1994 Mercury Capri XR2 turbo
        1992 Aerostar "Hot Wheels" custom
        FoMoCo toy car collector for 20 years

Comment

I haven't checked but like i said it does eventually get decent heat but not great. It probably does need flushed out.

How hard is it to pull the core out?

Comment

Originally posted by Evil D View Post
            I haven't checked but like i said it does eventually get decent heat but not great. It probably does need flushed out.

How hard is it to pull the core out?
            A pain! Whole dash has to come out. Best to try all the other options first!
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
            The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Wow yeah i just saw that in another post. Screw that.

Comment

Not to interrupt, but where is the needle on y'alls gauges when the radiator fan kicks on? I'm either crazy or the one in my car kicked on when the needle was barely 1/4 of the way into the little bracket. Is this right?
                Buck.
                -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Mine is probably around that area. A little before half way. I just don't understand how the thermometer says it's 220 degrees yet my heat sucks and the fan hasn't kicked on yet, and then the car gets even hotter so the heat does start getting warm and the fan eventually kicks on. If i hadn't tried 2 thermometers i would think it read wrong.

Comment

The thermo in the rad trick is not going to read true by far because the fluid is not under pressure so your getting incorrect readings from the start. Might as well pitch the thermo. A good coolant system flush and clean will work wonders and the expensive two stage thermo stat will fix your problem. If the heater core is leaking that would be the only need to replace. Just my opinion
                    New build on the way .

Comment

When you flush the core, flush it in the opposite direction of flow.
                      Chuck
                      Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
                      If money will fix it, it's not broken
                      91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                      93 GL - Lil Red
                      91 L - Tweetystiva
                      http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
                      http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

How does pressure in the system change the temp of the coolant?

hotfordcat thanks for the tip. I talked to a buddy and he has this awesome little electric water pump that he uses to flush cores that i'm going to use.

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
                          two stage thermo stat will fix your problem.
                          the regular t-stat works just fine....numerous people have said that it has not made a difference either way.
                          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          There ain't no rest for the wicked
                          until we close our eyes for good.
                          I will sleep when I die!
                          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by Evil D View Post
                            How does pressure in the system change the temp of the coolant?
                            Pressure in the system increases the boiling point of the coolant.
                            Without the pressure in the system the coolant would boil at a lower temperature.
                            Possibly creating steam voids in the cooling system and causing hot spots in the head or cylinder walls.
                            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                            Your holy ghost will not save you.
                            Your God plutonium will not save you.
                            In fact...
                            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I finally got my Festy winter/heat worthy. Filled coolant system with coolant(bought with none, was leaking at thermo housing), tested thermo(had a dual-stage ), replaced housing gasket, and lastly I blocked the radiator with cardboard. Now I have heat weather I'm in a parking lot or going 60 MPH!!
                              Buck.
                              -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                              -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                              -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Working...
                              X