Couple of problems.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of problems.....

Festiva is treatin me real good!! Just a few annoyances......

1) Speedometer not working: When I got the car, the cable wasn't even attached. I attached it, and it started working and worked for several days. Then it stopped- I figured it had come off again, but it was still attached. Ideas?

2) Squealing: Upon start-up or when the idle drops down pretty low(IE clutching out w/o enough gas) it will start squealing something FIERCE. It actually affects idle, when it stops squealing after ~15 seconds, the idle will jump up just a hair.

3) Herp

4) What are common oil leaks? I replaced the valve cover gasket, but I believe I'm still loosing some...

5) Does the engine have a rev limiter? Since there's no RPM gauge I'm kinda leery to give it WOT...

6) There's this nasty nasty clunk when letting out of the clutch into a gear... It's super weird though because it's JUST an audible clunk, you can't feel anything associated with it.

7) Derp

Thanks in advance!!!!

<3

-Buck
    Buck.
    -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
    -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
    -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

the clunk is problay a worn engine/trans mount. the ecu limiter is 6000 or 6500 rpm cannot remember bc i have a different engine and ecu.... u will know when u hit it lol. my car has the same problem with squeelin during start up and if the idle drops down low... its just the belt is worn. go get a new alt/ waterpump belt. if the speedo on the tranny side wasant hooked up then i would check the back of the cluster and see if the clips are broken off the cluster bc it will let the cable fall out.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
    1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
    R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
    00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
    03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
    pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
    Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
    Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

The inner cable was still in the sheath if that's what you mean
      Buck.
      -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!

Comment

i mean where the cable attatches to the insterment cluster, there are 2 plastic tabs and if they break off then your speedo cable can detach from it.

00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes

sponsered by,

Comment

As far as the oil leaks go, you may need new front seals at your cam and your crank. Kinda difficult to get to with the engine in.

I think Festyzoom gave you good advice for the other stuff.

I can't help you with the "herp" and the "derp." My car didn't come with those options.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Took the cluster out and it's attached to the back just fine..... Removed and re-attached the trans side and still no luck......... Can the cables themselves go bad?! It was just working......

How do you check trans fluid? I know you remove the cable, then what?
            Buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
              As far as the oil leaks go, you may need new front seals at your cam and your crank. Kinda difficult to get to with the engine in.
              Karl
              Boy that'll upset me off if it's those!! Lol
              Buck.

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
                Boy that'll upset me off if it's those!! Lol
                Feh, they're not that bad of a job. A herp is a snake. Not sure what a derp is. I think the rest have all been answered.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post

How do you check trans fluid? I know you remove the cable, then what?

You have to take the speedo gear out of the tranny. Pull the cable and remove one 10mm bolt from the gear, twist it around some and pull it out. Its kind of hard pulling it out and putting it back. There is a dipstick on it. Dont lose the "O" ring. I made a quick tranny fuild dipstick to make checking the level easier.
                  sigpic
                  The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                  https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                  Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I have an extra speedo gear sans o ring that I use. Saves some time and trouble.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

yeah the cables have a tendancy to snap in the tube due to lack of PROPER lubrication. you can use a speedo cable from a protege or 323. they'll just be about 2" longer than normal, and you have to pull one from a manual car even if yours is an ATX.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Got the cable fixed, lubed the crap out of the new one. Works like a charm.

New question: How do you drain the trans fluid to put new in? It looks like mud. Literally. Like, that slimy mud.

What do I put back in it?
                        Buck.

Comment

There is a drain plug located in the center of the crossmember I think its a 19mm bolt head. Drain it and refill with..... don't have my manual handy right now. Its atf but cannot remember what grade.

sponsered by,

Comment

If your seals are leaking due to being old and dried out, you might be able to rejuvenate them with a bottle of seal restore. I'd try that first since it's cheap and easy.
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                            X