Brake issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake issues.

OK to start its a 1989 carbed, 4speed festiva.

The brakes went out on me thursday (mostly)
    Brake pedal is soft then about 1in from bottom it locks up the front left & back right.

There are no leaks anywhere.
    Replaced the master cylinder yesterday.
    Attemped to bleed the brakes but there was no pressure to move any fluid.
    Every once & a while I would get pressure.

So now im thinking its the proportioning valve.
    Btw I still have the same 2 wheels that can brake if I floor it.
    I'm kinda at a loss.

Ideas?????
    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Check for vacuum leaks in the booster? Just guessing.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Weird.

The new MC should have solved your problem. I can only think of two things:

-bad proportioning valve
      -defective MC

You know I'm no master mechanic, though.

One question: Did you bench bleed the MC before installation? I have no idea if not doing this would result in your problem.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Its got to be a bad proportion valve !!
        Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
        99 Dodge Caravan SE
        95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
        94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
        78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
        78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
        03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
        95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
        95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
        95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

First things I would do.
          Bench bleed master, again if you have already done it just to make sure.
          Install master cylinder and then open all 4 bleeders and let it just gravity bleed, it may take awhile so be patient.
          If you get a pedal of any sort at this time, make sure bleeders are closed and then stomp hard on the pedal. If the porportioning valve is "off center" from the original problem this may help recenter it.
          Bleed again normally and see what you have.
          Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
          1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

we did bench bleed the master, we got the fluid almost clear, it still had some tiny bubbles but i dont think we could have gotten any more out cause they keept going back and fourth. at first i think we did have a issue with the booster, as we would pump the brake the idle would raise for a second, so we found the check valve, i think muscle_carl got that to free up one he blew on it (seems to stick), we didnt have any way to check for vaccum leaks on the brake booster, we did hit it with brake clean but i didnt hear the idle raise, as far as bleeding we had a lack of jack stands to do the correct procedure, we bled the passanger rear first, some time it would spirt out and then other times nothing came out, we then tried the driver side and same issue. we didnt bleed the front, we where concerned there maybe another issue due to the random spirts/no fluid coming out. he took it for a test drive and when slamming on the brakes passanger rear would lock up and driver fron but the other 2 had a delay

Comment

p.s. good to here from you will!, it would be nice if you called so we would know your good and still havent sold your festiva!

Comment

The same basic conditions apply after swapping out the master as before, so I reply dont hope the master is bad. Any one have an extra proportioning valve, carby booster with vacuum line w/check valve handy? With my/alicias separation going down as it is, going to the inlaws to pick up anything is not a great option.
                It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

did you start the engine before you do bleeding?
                  "i am the difference":cheers:

Comment

im almost positive i have the parts in st. anne, just call and tell me, or i have another place.
                    1973 Cb750 haven't touched it yet with no idea what I am planning on doing with it
                    1978 25th Anniversary edition Corvette
                    1983 Chevy Elcamino
                    1993 Ford Festiva GL
                    2003 Hyundia Santa Fe ( Wifes Daily driver)
                    some old dodge motorhome I have no idea of the year

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
                      we bled the passanger rear first, some time it would spirt out and then other times nothing came out,
                      When bleeding brakes, it HAS to be total fluid coming out of the bleeders, or it ain't bled!
                      Last edited by drddan; 01-17-2011, 09:26 PM.
                      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Kemp it can't be the proportioning "valve"... all that is is a block with predefined hole sizes for the rear drums to limit the pressure going back there. there are no moving parts. i'm betting on a blown LR wheel cyl. check those first, then rebleed your master on a bench and gravity bleed your proportioning block. then bleed car as normal (RR, LR, RF, LF).
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

So I went out to the car in the hopes that it mended itself, it didnt btw, but I did notice much more resistance wgen the car was not running vs when it was...

Lr is which side driver or passenger side. I redid the passengerside while changing the master

Comment

Lr = left rear = driver's side.
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I thought the proportioning valve was supposed to shut down one pair of wheels when either leaked, a safety feature, not just limit the pressure to the rear wheels? When I got a rust leak I didn't even notice until the line to one of the other pair leaked and I lost all pressure. From the original description of this problem I assumed there was a problem with one pair.
                              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                              X