Brake rotors, Festiva noob here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake rotors, Festiva noob here

I just picked up a 90 with warped/rusted rotors, how are these things attached? I assume I can't just wail on them and have success.

Thanks,
    Bob

the rotors get bolted on from the back side (stupid design in my opinion) you need to take the axle nut off to pull the hub apart (comes off with the rotor) then you'll see the 4 bolts that holds the rotor on

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I took the axle locknut off, I can see the four bolts. How do I remove them?

I assume once I back them out, the hub (thingy the lug studs thread into) will come off and I can pull the rotor off.

Comment

Aspire conversion

Find a Ford Aspire at the junk yard and do the Aspire brake conversion. It is worth every penny. Your Festiva will stop in half the distance. I wouldn't spend a dime for replacement rotors.
        Unfortunately, you will need larger rims.

Comment

Brake conversion, Huh? I'll look into it. Already bought the rotors, $35, need to get this on the road ASAP, preferably tonight...

Comment

You hub is a pressed fit, You need to remove the hub assembly from the car then either press the hub apart or have it done someplace. Once you separate the two halfs then you can remove the four bolts holding the rotor on.
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

Great. Whats the chance the bearing will separate when pressed?

Edit: OK, bit confused here. I figured if the bearing was pressed in, it would be one of those big sealed units. I'm seeing the loose "cone and cap" type bearings for sale...

What parts am I pressing apart? I'm used to a hub going into the bearing, and the bearing being pressed into the race, so 2 pressings necessary per side. I guess this will not be the case on the Festiva?
              Last edited by FestivaBob; 01-16-2011, 05:03 PM.

Comment

You are going to press the two halfs of the hub apart. The bearing shouldn't come apart on you, but there are spacers between the bearings, DO NOT mix up the spacers, they are sized and fir the hub castings. Here is a drawing of the hub.
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
                  You are going to press the two halfs of the hub apart. The bearing shouldn't come apart on you, but there are spacers between the bearings, DO NOT mix up the spacers, they are sized and fir the hub castings. Here is a drawing of the hub.
                  http://festivamotorsport.com/resourc...es/0fthubs.gif
                  Booyah. big time clutch info. So I will be pressing against the inner bearing?

Comment

I've never had to do any special work to get the hubs apart, once the axle nut is off i just used two pry bars (one on either side of the rotor) and gradually worked it out

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                      I've never had to do any special work to get the hubs apart, once the axle nut is off i just used two pry bars (one on either side of the rotor) and gradually worked it out
                      OH YEAH!!! This would make my weekend.

BTW, nice website. I love that there is a motorsports section.

Comment

If you are not wanting to save the rotors they can be removed with a large hammer.
                        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Got behind them with a small pry bar and worked them off pretty easily.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

^^Glad to hear you got it fixed up

Comment

So..... do you have to go to a shop to re-press bearings to replace the rotors?
                              Buck.
                              -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                              -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                              -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Working...
                              X