An oil leak that cannot be fixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An oil leak that cannot be fixed

So me and flyin4stroke have been rebuilding/restoring a 90' 1.3 Auto he found. A problem that has been with us from day one is that it discharges oil into the intake tube before the throttle body. Also it has always had a small oil leak.

After driving the car for over a month and putting a quart of oil in it a week, we replaced the head, intake manifold, and throttle body. We found a pea size chip out of the #1 cylinder valve. (yes it ran like butt) It still burned oil, leaked, and oil was found in the intake tubes once the head was replaced. A week later it threw the timing belt while driving about 55mph. Timing belt, and front main seal was replaced. The new seal did not leak after this. I drove the car for less than 100 miles a day and was putting a quart of oil in it a day. We noticed some small amounts of smoke coming from the exhaust and didnt really see an oil leak that would cause such a loss in oil...so we replaced the piston rings with new pistons, and replaced nearly every single gasket and seal in the engine.

We did a proper engine break-in, long idleing periods and driving small distances for test runs, we saw no oil leaking and the car idled perfectly and ran the best it ever did. 10 min ago it nearly blew up while driving to put gas in it. It started tapping, then knocking...and the car died. Its night here, but i can see oil around the oil pan and the front of the engine. there is also a large amount of oil in the intake tube before the throttle body. All the oil pan bolts are tight, and spark plugs do not show any oil burn...they are a coffee tan color.

This has been an ongoing problem for over 3 months now. Im guessing the oil leak on the bottom has to be front seal and/or oil pan gasket. But, what would cause oil being thrown into the intake tubes? The engine, oil leaks, and general problems got way worse ever since the timing belt was thrown...but i thought these were non interference engines? Any ideas would be helpful because im ready to throw a match to this piece, i think another person wants to as well lol.
    Last edited by Pu241; 01-18-2011, 09:53 PM.

excessive blowby is causing the oil to be pushed in to the intake tube (an easy outlet).
    you might think about slapping on a new PCV valve or at least check an dclean the one you have to help aleviate some of that pressure. But realisticaly you're looking at a MINIMUM of a re-ring job.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Already rerung it... Or reringed... Lol also already replaced the pcv.. It needs a match!
      1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Easy fix:

Engine swap!! That'll fix the leak up right quick. Preferably a B6 or larger, or whatever runs well that's cheapest to get the car back on the road. Save your matches for barbecues.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Flyin4stroke View Post
          Already rerung it... Or reringed... Lol also already replaced the pcv.. It needs a match!
          Did you have the cylinders checked for wear/taper?
          If so was it bored/honed before the rings installed?

To much wear or taper and not honing or boring it properly is something new rings alone will not fix.
          Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
          1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Good point! ^ If the cylinders were honed or bored, then i'd say get another block to build.
            I know you have put some work into this one, but if it keeps being a PITA, it might be wise to stop throwing good money after bad, and start with another.
            Last edited by drddan; 01-19-2011, 09:12 AM.
            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

i figured my worst fears would come true. The cylinders were not bored or honed so i guess blowby could still be occurring. But with blowby wouldnt the spark plugs be black with oil deposits? These things are clean! Time to pull the engine i suppose...for the 6th time.

Comment

^ I want a pack of your....'boro's! :p
                Last edited by drddan; 01-19-2011, 09:41 AM.
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Looks like im going to be swapping the engine out of my 93 festy into this car. The auto is being drivin by sister now and she wont drive stick so the mint condition 93 with air gets to be a parts car. yay.

Comment

Originally posted by baker View Post
                    i figured my worst fears would come true. The cylinders were not bored or honed so i guess blowby could still be occurring. But with blowby wouldnt the spark plugs be black with oil deposits? These things are clean! Time to pull the engine i suppose...for the 6th time.
                    The bottom oil control rings could be doing fine, but if the top compression rings are stuck or not sealing, you'll have excessive blow-by. My B3 blows about 1Qt of oil in the intake tube every 100 mile, yet runs & idles perfect and doesn't smoke from the exhaust at all. When the oil builds up in the intake tube it will eventually run back into the throttle body, into the cylinders and cause a very lean combustion (pinging, stuttering -not good on the internals). Do a dry compression check then squirt oil in the cylinders and test again. If it goes up, the rings aren't sealing. The only way to do it right is either bore it & get new pistons or measure the bores and hone/deglaze the cylinder walls. Seating new rings is dependent on the proper cylinder finish.
                    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                      ^ I want a pack of your....'boro's! :p
                      x2!

Instead of using the '93 as a parts car, I would be tracking down a B6 or B8.
                      Last edited by JPT; 01-19-2011, 02:18 PM.
                      Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                      '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                      '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

x3...lol

Comment

But might as well put the b6 or b8 into the mint festy and give it some power...
                          1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                            My B3 blows about 1Qt of oil in the intake tube every 100 mile, yet runs & idles perfect and doesn't smoke from the exhaust at all.
                            You described the car perfectly, so im just going to assume the top piston rings didnt seat properly due to worn cylinders. Anyone sellin a b3 or b6? lol

Comment

yeah there's a guy NE of me selling 2 B6 and a B6ME 2 have trans all are set up for carb but can be made EFI easily
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                              X