I cant figure it out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
    constant 70mph in my auto netted me 34mpg this past Madness... you should see 30+ easily at highway speed from an ATX
    This is similar to what I got when I had my auto Festy. Although I drove 75+ 80 at some points and in the city I drove it like I stole it and I still got 34mpg or so highway and 36-37 in the city. I seriously doubt that 25mpg highway is from being an auto, though I can't give any advice. Pu241 is on the right track I think. I have heard that a 1lb deviation in tire pressure can equal a 10% diff in mileage. AND it gets worse the farther you get from the reccommended tire pressure from the manufacture.
    Last edited by Gomez; 01-21-2011, 05:04 PM.
    -Bryant

Comment

Festyboy are you talking about a compression check? I will do that I have the gauge sitting on my dash for a side job im doing.

Comment

I'm new to all this. I just bought a festiva and I love it! I had the transmission rebuilt. I found 12inch tires which are hard to find, an oil change and new battery. Now I have found out that my drivers side front axle is bad and my wheel bearings need to be replaced. Other than all that, I am having the same problem. I'm getting about 25 mpg, but I'm still on my first tank of gas and it could have been sitting for years before I got it. I chose to fix up this car like new because I figured I'd have it forever with the great gas mileage that it's supposed to get and I'd make back the money over time. I was really excited about this car just from seeing all the wonderful reviews, loyalty and love for this car. I just need some advice to get it back to it's prime.

Comment

I drive 3 of these cars and it becomes quite apparent when one of them starts getting lower gas mileage (they all travel the same distance of 250km/day). In replacing an exhaust manifold pipe last year someone suggested renewing the 02 sensor at the same time. Car didn't run any different after but the gas mileage went up significantly and instantly. Same has happened to me when there is an exhaust leak at the manifold; apparently the O2 sensor starts to read funny and then signals the computer for a richer mixture.

Comment

yeah, a compression check is what i'm refering to, but you should still consider changing the O2 sensor, especially if it's a Bosch unit as they read differently than what the ECU is calibrated for.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I found an air leak where the air tube bolts to the fuel injection the tube wasnt all the way up and the slits in the end of the tube were exposed slightly I pushed it up and instant 6mpg more now in getting 31mpg. Im going to be looking for more ways to get the mileage up. Thank you guys for all the help and being there for not just me but everyone.

Comment

You never have said what size tires you are running.
                If they are larger than stock you need to adjust your mpg calculations to offset that.
                Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Sorry about that the tires are stock as are the engine and trans

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                    I found an air leak where the air tube bolts to the fuel injection the tube wasnt all the way up and the slits in the end of the tube were exposed slightly I pushed it up and instant 6mpg more now in getting 31mpg. Im going to be looking for more ways to get the mileage up. Thank you guys for all the help and being there for not just me but everyone.
                    You might check on the cat too. Maybe it's clogged.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Yeah I guess I could run a broom threw it. lol

Comment

Funny the same thing happened to mine. No mpg improvement though.
                        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Yeah I guess I could run a broom threw it. lol
                          You'll regret it. My auto has a hollowed cat and can be absolutely annoying at times.. sound and smell. When I had a 5spd it wasn't to bad sound wise but had the smell.
                          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I had some friends in school that started hollowing out their cats and it became a big thing in my small town to do so, I never did it cuz with friends like that you dont need to make your own mistakes.

Comment

Working...
                            X