Using a Bubble Balancer...info...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a Bubble Balancer...info...

Today I began playing with my Harbor Freight bubble balancer. It took awhile for me to figure a few things out, such as that the top ring lowers itself on springs to center the wheel on the center cone area. I kept at it for awhile, using a few stick on weights, but it seemed that I couldn't get a consistent balance.

I just read the "reviews" on Harbor Freight's website. Go here to the product page and click on "reviews" if you don't see them:

According to one reviewer, for light wheel/tire combinations, you might want to remove two of the guide springs to make the top ring less stiff and help the wheel center itself on the cone. I'll check into that tomorrow, along with some lube on all moving areas as well as the cone area (again, to help seat the wheel concentrically). He also mentioned tightening the spring guides at the top ring, out of the box. Will do that too.

If anyone has used these tools before, feel free to post about how you would use it and any other suggestions!

Before I try adding weights, I need to make sure I can get a consistent balance point on my wheels! I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow, too.

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-20-2011, 10:48 AM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Hey Karl can't tell you how to adjust a bubble balancer or the quality of the Harbor Freight product. But I can tell you that at the 2 body shops I worked at as a general grunt/runner & the family owned junk yard they all had them. I used them & they did work accurately so I'm sure you can get yours dialed in w/ some patience & tweaking.
    Send An Invite If Ya Want

1991 Ford Festiva GL- Auto

Comment

Thanks for the info Dave. I'm hoping that these things work as well as I've heard (here at FF.COM) so I can keep saving the mooooolah. My tire changing tool from HF has paid for itself already!

If I get this balancer working right, I'll be monitoring four used 175/70-13s on VW rims (two newer matching pairs in really great shape) to see how they last--or not. If this does work, I'd say it'll be about 80-90 percent paid off, considering spin balancing costs at least ten bucks per wheel. (I think I paid around $50 for it, with coupon.)

Even if it takes longer than spin balancing, the time I'd travel to and from the tire shop would probably make up for it. Then there's the satisfaction of DIY!

Love the DIY,

Karl
      Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-20-2011, 11:27 AM.
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

When I worked at the Honda motorcycle dealership years ago that's how we balanced 'em. Most bikes will go faster than a Festy......
        1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
        1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
        1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
        1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
        1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
        1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
        1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

I have the same balancer and so far it has been great.
          We have done stock festy wheels up to a pair of 295/50R15's on it.
          They have all ran smooth as can be.
          The biggest trick to a bubble balancer is aptients, sometimes it takes a bit for the bubble to settle where it needs to.
          Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
          1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by econoaddict View Post
            The biggest trick to a bubble balancer is aptients, sometimes it takes a bit for the bubble to settle where it needs to.
            What is an aptients? Maybe you meant ...patients...Did the bubble level have to go to the doctor or the hospital?

or did you mean.....patience (which I have little of) :p
            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
              What is an aptients? Maybe you meant ...patients...Did the bubble level have to go to the doctor or the hospital?

or did you mean.....patience (which I have little of) :p
              Ack! I been had. yeah, patience.

I caught that but edit option was gone. Oh well, that's what I get for talking on the phone and typing at the same time.
              Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
              1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Been using same one for years works great.
                -Greg
                Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                Redneck Engineer
                FOTY - '09
                5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I have the same balancer. Along with my Coats 40/40 tire changer these have saved and made me money.

Pretty good advice in the HF reviews. With the lighter wheels I have just pushed down to seat them on the cone then slowly let up on the pressure. So far, no problems.

I do like the idea of removing 2 of the springs though. Gonna have to try it.

As a side note;
                  I have played the "and if you want the wheels spin balanced" card and simply give the wheel a slight spin while on the balancer.

Usually good for a chuckle.

Comment

Working...
                  X