2000rpm cutoff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000rpm cutoff?

I replaced my alternator with a used unit and now while driving my car will cut above 2000rm with a load. It feels like a spark cut and is smooth until it gets under 1800 rpm them goes back to normal driving. I've had issues with the VAF plug so I'll check it but other than that I'm lost.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

You said it cuts around 2k under load, how about in neutral? I had a similar problem on a '90 auto once, it did it both while driving and in park. Turned out there was water in the TPS plug. Felt like hitting the fuel cutoff, but it happened at about 2200. Not sure what that might have to do with the alt replacement though, unless the hood was up when it was raining? It'd be worth a try unplugging the TPS and hitting it with some electrical cleaner or WD40 though.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

No rain and revs fine while in neutral and in gear with the clutch depressed.

Comment

If you rev it up past 2k and pop the clutch does it immediately lose power, or can you take off and drive it above 2k as long as you shift really long and keep the revs up? Had a Pontiac Sunfire once that did exactly as you describe, it was an auto though, but as long as I 1,2,3 shifted it and keep the revs up it was ok. Get below about 2500 though and it was horrible. Turned out two of spark plugs were in awful shape and two were brand new. I guess at the higher RPMs the compression was great enough that even the weak spark could ignite the fuel pretty well. It didn't really have trouble in park though, it would rev and rev. When's the last time dist cap, plugs and wires were done?
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

VAF plug was removed and cleaned with contact cleaner. Runs fine now.

Comment

Working...
          X