No announcement yet.

My new Festiva. Blue smoke/Emissions test/tune up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought the car for $250 and I budgeted to spend about $500 on the car total, so I have $250 to spend on a new oxygen sensor and catalytic converter. Hopefully that'll fix my problem with emissions... I'm going to try to test the oxygen sensor before I replace it just in case it's not faulty. As far as I know it's been on there for 260k+ so who knows... I'm hopefully going to change/flush the coolant tommorow or the next day to see if there is truely oil in it or if it's just super nasty and rusty... Pleaaaase not the head gasket!

Hopefully I'm not convincing myself that this car is worth saving when it's not...
    1993 Festiva L - "Thor"

More cheers more beers, that's it that's all.

Comment

A festiva is always worth saving , but I would consider cutting my losses in the meantime, and try advertising it in the Fraser Valley CL for $500.

That was indeed what I was going to do if I bought it and it didnt pass AirCare.

Comment

Originally posted by Beans View Post
        I bought the car for $250 and I budgeted to spend about $500 on the car total, so I have $250 to spend on a new oxygen sensor and catalytic converter. Hopefully that'll fix my problem with emissions... I'm going to try to test the oxygen sensor before I replace it just in case it's not faulty. As far as I know it's been on there for 260k+ so who knows... I'm hopefully going to change/flush the coolant tommorow or the next day to see if there is truely oil in it or if it's just super nasty and rusty... Pleaaaase not the head gasket!

Hopefully I'm not convincing myself that this car is worth saving when it's not...
        If changing the O2 sensor be sure to get a Denso unit and NOT the bosch; they read differently. Run a can of SeaFoam in your gas to help you injector spray pattern (you can also ad MMO to the tank as well).

Replace (or at least service) your rear bearings, the last thing you want happening is a bearing seizing to one of your spindles. it's an easy job and should run you less than $40 in parts if you get bearings. Also while you're in there, un-seize the E-Brake adjuster; it should be floppy loose when you're done (if it isn't, keep working at it till it is).
        Replace fuel filter and air filter. use GTX highmilage for your oil change, it works well and doen't easily burn off.
        Last edited by FestYboy; 01-26-2011, 12:11 AM.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I talked to my girlfriend's sister's boyfriend, who happens to be an auto mechanic, and he told me that the problem was most likely the Cat. He also told me a method of retarding the timing so it'll produce less NOX. If all that fails then I'll try the O2 Sensor.

I probably look slightly off in the head trying to get this car to pass AirCare, but I figure it like this: Why trade off one car with problems for another more expensive car with problems?

Festyboy - I'll keep that in mind about the O2 sensor. Also, I was planning on adjusting the E brake (it's pretty much useless...), so I'll definately consider doing the rear bearings. Thanks!
          1993 Festiva L - "Thor"

More cheers more beers, that's it that's all.

Comment

Working...
          X