car yanks to the left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car yanks to the left

Going down the road at speed when you let off the gas the front left starts to shake and the steering wheel will pulse to the left, back on the gas and the shake quits, i have done the lock to lock test and the axles do clic when going left. I did lift the car, the ball joint is a little lose, axle nut is tight, nothing seems loose. Any thoughts.
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

If the ball joint is loose that could definitely be a big part of it if not the whole problem. Did you happen to notice if the bushings between the control arm and the sway bar are intact? I have had similar symptoms before and that bushing has been the culprit, though I don't remember having a lot of shaking, just the hard pull between being on the gas and letting off it. Fix that ball joint for sure though!
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Yea, thats sounding mechanical, but have you checked the tire to make sure it is not developing a "hump" or the balance of said tire, for the shaking?
      Agreed with looking at those bushings too.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

My guess is axle locking up !!! Had one do that same thing !!
        New build on the way .

Comment

please fix it fast sounds like the festy is wanting to go all nascar on you ....an really who want to just turn left all day long ......friends dont let friends make only left turns
          Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy an taste great with katsup!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mattman View Post
            friends dont let friends make only left turns
            HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Love it!
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
              HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Love it!
              My thoughts also ha ha ha ha etc. i'll check all the suggestions Saturday if it's above 0 and no wind chill. thanks guys
              An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Inflate tires and swap left-for-right. If it does no good it'll do no harm.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                  Inflate tires and swap left-for-right. If it does no good it'll do no harm.
                  We did this first thing this morning, no change, going to install a new, rebuilt driver side axle, just in the house now to get warm, more later.

Comment

L.F. Axle

OK OK i just got scolded for not giving an update to this post so here i go, htchbck, the ball joint does need replaced, is MOOG the best or ?

drdan, no tire problem.

mattman, yes to the Nascar thing, let go of the wheel and it would go left no matter if you were going into a corner or not, I'm more of a straight liner.

shadetree, ding ding ding we have a winner, the rubber cover was not torn but the joint was shot. Now to get the axle out, yanked and cussed for awhile then came in and read some suggestions on the forum, one of the guys said to yank and twist, second yank and twist it was out, replaced it with one from car quest, now we are ON THE ROAD AGAIN. Thanks to all.

Comment

I'd go with MOOG probably. Don't forget you have to order the whole lower control arm, the ball joint does not come out of the control arm. (At least its not supposed to... if it does you got trouble lol)
                      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                        I'd go with MOOG probably. Don't forget you have to order the whole lower control arm, the ball joint does not come out of the control arm. (At least its not supposed to... if it does you got trouble lol)

Big trouble! Have seen after pics of failed balljoints. Not pretty.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Ya i can imagine a lower control arm and a ball joint parting ways, HELLOOOOO DITCH wait a minute that would be the Nascar thing right mattman.

htchbck, i'll check with my local car quest guys and see if they are affordable, maybe Rock Auto

Comment

Working...
                          X