Oil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil question

Just discovered something regarding the recommended oil viscosity for the early B6.

The Mazda 323 with normally aspirated B6 engines requires 10W-30 vs the 5W-30 recommended for the Festiva's B3. I checked the recommendations on this site.

I've been running the lighter oil in my B6 and have had problems with the lifters draining down and being noisy on startup. I'm going to try the heavier option and see if that makes any difference.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

I bet that was mazdas solution for the common oil leaks as well.

A good chunk of the new cars today are runnng 0w-30. The Mazda 2 and new Mitsubishis as well. All in the name of MPGs.

-Scott
    Aqua 93 L
    Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
    White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

thats the beauty of the carb festys hehehehe no hydro lifters. But hey, i had a VW and the owners manual says that it is normal to have some lifters noise at start up, specially in the mornings or if the car has been sitting for a while. I think it would be fine, just dont rev it at star up, let the oil clim up.

Comment

Block heater in winter helps on startup.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
        X