atf or gear oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atf or gear oil

So when i bought my festy in June of last year, my cv shafts were shot so i replaced both sides (cheep remans) lol when i pulled the cv's i knew i would lose some fluid so i picked it up when i got the shafts i got gear oil not sure on the weight ,but it was royal purple (good stuff) i have always used it with good luck .. but then i got my 2nd festy and pulled the motor it had atf not gear oil so i did some looking and thats what it calls for i have never herd of this before with a mtx would the gear oil i used on my 1st festiva hurt the trans?

Yep, the manual calls for ATF. Having said that, when I swapped Batstiva's shafts, I ended up using gear oil (because somebody forgot that pulling the shafts would result in a loss of fluid :banghead
    Anyway, the gear oil I used worked just fine. Put about 25K miles on the car afterwards, before having to park it for reasons not related to the tranny. I think you'll be fine with the gear oil.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Thinks, that whats i wanted to hear i plan to do a bp swap and trans but it might take some time so i just wonted to know that the stock one would last.

Comment

IIRC, the Kia Pride or Mazda 121 manual actually calls for gear lube (?)
        Maybe someone can confirm that. I have considered trying GM Syncromesh when I finally get around to swapping my B6. ATF is pretty common in MTX nowadays, but I always worry about not having the EP (extreme pressure) additives that the old gear lube had. One note about synthetics, you need to make sure the seals and syncros (brass or whatever) are compatible, not usually a problem on more modern cars.
        Case in point, the Tremec TR3650 in my Mustang is supposed to have some type of carbon fiber syncros. According to Tremec, using a synthetic like Royal Purple or GM Syncromesh will attack the adhesive used in the bonding process and result in syncro failure. However, 50% of the Mustangs w/TR3650's on the road are filled with one of these 2 fluids, and are not having any issues. The other 50% either still have the factory Ford fill (which was Mobil1 Synthetic- go figure), or Mercon ATF like the manual calls for.
        In any case, RP should not cause any issues in the Festy. Worst case, If the seals are original OEM they may start to leak, but chances are you replaced them with modern seals anyway. Also, there is such a thing as being "too slick" when it comes to syncros. If you experience gear crunch when shifting, that may be the problem. If it shifts good & doesn't leak, you're good!
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

im just gunna say that royal purple is a joke. its 10$ a quart and inferior to amsoil, and amsoil cost less, and has warranty aginst damage caused by lack of lubercation. ive run atf and gear oil, gar oil in summer and atf in the winter time.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
          1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
          R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
          00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
          03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
          pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
          Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
          Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988festivazoom View Post
            im just gunna say that royal purple is a joke. its 10$ a quart and inferior to amsoil, and amsoil cost less, and has warranty aginst damage caused by lack of lubercation. ive run atf and gear oil, gar oil in summer and atf in the winter time.
            Over the years I have seen people try to make a claim on that warranty from amsoil, always needed documents from us (the repair shop) and usually ended up not being covered for various reasons. The main one was that the failure had to be directly caused by oil failure, they want proof it was caused by the oil not a defective or worn out part. example: your oil pump fails, you have to prove the oil caused the pump to fail....good luck

I am not saying amsoil is bad stuff, it is actually a very good product from what I have seen.
            I would use it over royal purple in a street car any day.
            Royal Purple contains Moly that can potentially cause issues under extended use.
            Basically boils down to different oils have their place/uses.

What oil or brand of oil is a subject that will be debated till the world ends :p
            Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
            1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

the nice thing about amsoil is i send them an oil sample every 3 months and they will send me results on the oil sample like visc. breakdown and if there are any metals that are cause for concearn ect. and they will tell me how much life the oil has left. they said as long as i do the samples as required, they will cover any failure... not sure how true it is but i used royal purple and wasant impressed by the product..... its stupid that it is dark colored to begin with bc how the hell are u supposed to know when it darkens up lol

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
              1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
              R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
              00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
              03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
              pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
              Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
              Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

I use syncromesh in both mine and never had problems.
                89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                  I use syncromesh in both mine and never had problems.
                  How do you like it? Does it seem to make a difference?
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

I was told by a Ford tech who has owned numerous Festivas that they came with gear oil. He used atf in the trans. You shouldn't have problems with either one. Gear lube is thicker and may not be ideal for cold climates.

Comment

Originally posted by angrygocart View Post
                      I was told by a Ford tech who has owned numerous Festivas that they came with gear oil. He used atf in the trans. You shouldn't have problems with either one. Gear lube is thicker and may not be ideal for cold climates.
                      I can believe that. My '93 had like 34K original miles when I got it. I changed the trans fluid at about 60K and it looked like regular gear oil. I seriously doubt it had been changed before I got it.
                      Brian

Comment

I put in gear oil almost a half a year ago. Through out the winter though it the tranny has been more difficult to shift than I expected it would be. I am not sure if it is related to the oil, but I am not happy with it as of yet.

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
                        -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

Had the 5 sp manual tranny in my F-150 rebuilt, and the guy that owns the shop insisted I fill it with transmission fluid. I asked about the gear lube, and he said that they run better and cooler with the tranny fluid. I filled it with tranny fluid and have not had any problems. This guy, and his father, who used to own the shop, are top line rear end and tranny rebuilders and have built ford 9 inch 3rd members and chevy 12 bolt's for me in the past. I trust what he says.
                          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

IF you use oil, use a light weight (10-40 or 20-50) but NOT gear oil. the manual specifies ATF for a reason, it needs to be and stay thin to properly lubricate the bearings and syncros.
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

but I was under the impresion that gear lube 80w90 is equal as 30w? I think I read ot some where

Comment

Working...
                              X