1988 Festiva L, Manual Transmission, 126K miles, Electrically DEAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Festiva L, Manual Transmission, 126K miles, Electrically DEAD

My better half went out this morning to start the Festiva. It started easily, idled rough and ran like crap until it warmed up, which it normally does. Nothing out of the ordinary. She put it into gear and started to drive out the parking lot, when the Festiva died after going about 15 feet. When she tried to re-start it it she got nothing. No click. No starter activity at all. Absolutely nothing.

I checked the battery, which is only a few months old, and it registered 12.8 volts. I checked the continuity of the ground side of the battery and confirmed that it was good. I removed and checked the fuses in the interior and they were all OK. The car is electrically DEAD. No lights. No radio. No horn. No wipers. Nothing.

Any ideas on what to check? Thanks, Tom

check the fuseable links under the hood. they are on the right side of the engine bay.
    1973 Cb750 haven't touched it yet with no idea what I am planning on doing with it
    1978 25th Anniversary edition Corvette
    1983 Chevy Elcamino
    1993 Ford Festiva GL
    2003 Hyundia Santa Fe ( Wifes Daily driver)
    some old dodge motorhome I have no idea of the year

Comment

Check the fusible links. There are located on the driver side strut tower. It should have three wires in the fuse block. Especially check the middle one. Pull it out, check for corrosion etc. Wiggle it around and see if the car starts.
      '90 LX

Comment

lemme go take a pic and upload it for you give me 5 mins,
        1973 Cb750 haven't touched it yet with no idea what I am planning on doing with it
        1983 Chevy Elcamino
        1993 Ford Festiva GL

Comment

its the 3 wires grouped toghter

hope this helps.
          Last edited by marinepolice03; 01-26-2011, 02:32 PM.
          1983 Chevy Elcamino
          1993 Ford Festiva GL

Comment

Yep, and if the middle one goes, everything goes. I'd also check/ double check that your cables are securely connected to the battery. I know, but humor me and check anyway. Don't ask me why I am recommending this, because I won't tell.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Thanks all for the suggestions and the picture of the fusible links. I removed and checked the three fusible links for continuity and they were all OK. There was some crud on the connectors so I gave them a good cleaning. I also checked and verified that I had 12 volts on one side of the fusible link connectors. Still nothing.

I ran out of daylight before I could check the battery cable connections, but they did not feel loose. I'll check and clean them tomorrow. Using a VOM, I did verify that I had continuity between the negative battery post and the engine block ground. But I'm still not getting power anywhere past the fusible links...

Comment

main relay frozen...? (located behind driver headlight on inside of fender)
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thank you all for the suggestions; batstiva hit it right on the money. I traced the electrical problem to an open connection of the secondary wire on the positive battery terminal. The wire had corroded to the point of just hanging by a thread. I cleaned the connection and crimped on a new connector. After doing so, the Festy started right up. I love it when a plan comes together...

Comment

Glad to see its running again for you.
                    1983 Chevy Elcamino
                    1993 Ford Festiva GL

Comment

Cool! Back up and running! Thanks for the update.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I love happy endings!!

Karl
                        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                        X