Catalytic converter location...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalytic converter location...

I just ordered a new catalytic converter so I can (hopefully) pass the emissions test, I looked under the car and saw a flex tube sorta thing at the front of the car, and a "bulge" in the exhaust tube about halfway that I was told was a "resonator"... Where the hell is my Cat?! Is it mounted closer to the Exhaust manifold? On my failed AirCare slip it said "pass" where it said Catalytic Converter, so I'm assuming it's on there somewhere... I just can't seem to find it!

I suppose it's possible that I don't have one, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Anyone know where the stock Cat is located on a 1993 festiva??
    1993 Festiva L - "Thor"

More cheers more beers, that's it that's all.

Stock cat is attached to your flex pipe just under the firewall bottom. At least that's where mine were put by the exhaust folks.

If you look down into your engine compartment, you should be able to see the front top of your cat under the edge of the firewall.

If you can identify the flex pipe and the resonator, but can't see your cat, sounds like you don't have one. IMO, they're kinda hard to miss. Meoooowww!

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-28-2011, 01:18 PM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Beans View Post
      I just ordered a new catalytic converter so I can (hopefully) pass the emissions test, I looked under the car and saw a flex tube sorta thing at the front of the car, and a "bulge" in the exhaust tube about halfway that I was told was a "resonator"... Where the hell is my Cat?! Is it mounted closer to the Exhaust manifold? On my failed AirCare slip it said "pass" where it said Catalytic Converter, so I'm assuming it's on there somewhere... I just can't seem to find it!

I suppose it's possible that I don't have one, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Anyone know where the stock Cat is located on a 1993 festiva??
      Mine is located right under the shifter.
      ----------------------------------------------
      93 Festiva L (B8 swap in progress)

Comment

Originally posted by Beans View Post
        IOn my failed AirCare slip it said "pass" where it said Catalytic Converter, so I'm assuming it's on there somewhere...
        Or maybe it doesn't have one and they were just too lazy to get up under there and verify that it was actually there, since the car failed the test anyway. Some of the emissions guys in the ATL never actually check the car visually, they just hook up the test tube whatchamacallits and go to town lol.

If there is a flex pipe down there it sounds like someone may have removed the cat at some point, seen it done many times on many cars. But on a festiva the stock one should be just forward of the shifter, right where the curved downpipe meets the rest of the exhaust. In fact, the downpipe coming out of the engine bolts directly to a flange on the front of the cat.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Okay, I was thinking of my B6 323 downpipe with flexpipe end. If your B3 has a flex pipe, it is aftermarket and not stock. Probably replaced the missing cat.

Karl

Comment

Man I wish festivas had that little braided steel flex piece on the end like the 323s instead of the stupid springy mount things. Probably would cut down on a lot of the exhaust rattle lol
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
              Man I wish festivas had that little braided steel flex piece on the end like the 323s instead of the stupid springy mount things. Probably would cut down on a lot of the exhaust rattle lol
              Mine does

I'll take another look when I get home and I'll take some pictures and post them, if I can figure out how to that is. If it doesn't have a Cat at all then that could be my emissions solution right there!

Thanks for the input!

*edit* Also, htchbck, They used a big mirror to check under the car for the CatCon... I'm assuming he found one, but who knows!
              Last edited by Beans; 01-28-2011, 02:18 PM.
              1993 Festiva L - "Thor"

Comment

Let us know how it turns out! Pics if you can too
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                  Let us know how it turns out! Pics if you can too
                  I'll post some pics later tonight hopefully. It's nothing special though... Just another red '93 Festiva with lots of "character" (dents).
                  1993 Festiva L - "Thor"

Comment

Okay, so I took some pictures, but I can only attach two. I'm pretty darn sure there's no Cat on there. It kind of looks like there was one right behind the Flex Tube thing, but it's been replaced by just straight pipe. What's do you experts think?
                    1993 Festiva L - "Thor"

Comment

Gone
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost
                      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Oh yeah. That long bent arm hanger should be supporting the cat. Instead, it's supporting the back of that straight pipe.

You shouldn't have any problem meeting emissions after installing your new cat.

Karl

Comment

Well this is good news! Thanks everyone! My new cat should be in next tuesday or wednesday. The unfortunate thing is that now I'm going to have to take it somewhere to have it welded on there... Boooo!
                          1993 Festiva L - "Thor"

Comment

You should have poured "Guaranteed to Pass" in your tank before you went for the test. You may be spending a lot of extra money without the need to.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                              You should have poured "Guaranteed to Pass" in your tank before you went for the test. You may be spending a lot of extra money without the need to.
                              What is this?
                              Aspires and Sways all around, Miata B6 installed, KYB G2Rs just installed in front. Wish for coil overs someday.

Comment

Working...
                              X