B6 won't run as long as coolant is in the radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6 won't run as long as coolant is in the radiator

Ok, so I was driving to my parent's house from school last summer, and I had gone about 30 miles (all on the freeway) when my coolant guage suddenly jumped of the charts. I quickly pulled to the side and there was steam coming out from under the hood and the engine was making a clicking sound. I was only about 20 miles from home, so I called a tow and had it brought to my house. I didn't mess with it for a while because I still had my taurus wagon so I could still get around. One day I went to try and crank it and it would turn over all day long but wouldn't fire. I check the spark plugs and they were all sparking. I tried a couple more times, and still it wouldn't fire, then suddenly it cranked right up! I put water in the radiator, and then it wouldn't crank again. I drianed the radiator, and it fired right up again. Ran great, but without the coolant I couldn't drive long without overheating. Any ideas what went wrong? I'm probably going to do a complete overhaul on the engine, unless someone says that it sounds like I make have something wrong with the block. BTW, its a 1.6L SOHC from a 1989 Mazda 323 MT, running the B3 injectors and ECU.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Sounds like a blown head gasket to me, eh?

When you put coolant in the radiator, it seeps through the cracks/holes in the head gasket, gets into your combustion chamber, and keeps the shit from firing. That sounds a lot like my car when I blew my head.
    GT

Comment

Good, thats what I was guessing/hoping happened. Just wanted to get a second opinion before I started taking the thing apart to fix it. Didn't want to rip it all up and find out the the block had cracked or something.
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck
        Good, thats what I was guessing/hoping happened. Just wanted to get a second opinion before I started taking the thing apart to fix it. Didn't want to rip it all up and find out the the block had cracked or something.
        Might want to do a compression test before ripping the engine apart, it can tell you a lot about what's wrong.

Regards,

Tim
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

A warped head is possible if it was ran too long on the blown head gasket, but a cracked block? Most likely not.

Comment

Working...
          X