Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Wipers Don't Return to Resting Position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Wipers Don't Return to Resting Position?

Ok, I have a '92 Festiva L....

Wiper speeds of Slow, and not as slow.

If I flip the wiper on Slow, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

The "not as slow" always works, however, when I flip the wipers OFF it doesn't return to the resting position, but just stops wherever they are on the windshield at the time of me turing off the wipers.

Sometimes the wipers seem to function 100% correctly, and then as the drive continues, I lose the slow and then the wipers don't stop where they should.

Any ideas? Bad Relay?

~Phil
    Last edited by hckrphil; 01-30-2011, 10:04 PM.
    My Whips:

Sometime my wipers and headlights wouldn't work. Sprayed WD-40 into ignition key hole to clean contacts. Fixed problem.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Sounds like the gear with the contacts in the wiper motor are worn out/dirty. I'd just replace the wiper motor assembly if that's an option.

If that's not the problem, it could be the contacts in your wiper stalk that are worn out/dirty. I'm leaning towards wiper motor.
      -Zack
      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Make sure it has a good ground, may have some corrosion and not getting a good ground.
        1960 willys pickup
        1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
        1989 festiva
        1990 festiva for parts
        1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

yes, spray the motor and clean the ground. also might want to clean the contacts in the multi function switch as well.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I disagree ....kind of...with the others. I think it is the stalk/switch.....first thing I would check....then on to the motor. But that is just me. It seems more like the problem to me in how you described the goings on.
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
              I disagree ....kind of...with the others. I think it is the stalk/switch.....first thing I would check....then on to the motor. But that is just me. It seems more like the problem to me in how you described the goings on.
              x2 It's more than likely electrical. 90% the switch.
              Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

yeah but you forget that the park switch is in the wiper motor itself , NOT in the stalk.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  yeah but you forget that the park switch is in the wiper motor itself , NOT in the stalk.
                  Which brings up a good point. Since the wiper will stall, as if the key has been turned off, could be the ignition switch like mentioned above as well.
                  Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

i'm on the boat with festyboy. that was my first instinct as to why it wouldn't park.

it could also be the reason why it just stops. i can put a dollar down on a bad wiper motor.
                    -Zack
                    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Wiper motor problems too.

I was having the same issues with my wiper motor. I took WORFDOG's advice and cleaned up the groundwire that attachs to one of the mounting bolts. WOW what a difference! That motor runs like a new one. Who would have thought of such an easy repair. Thanks WORFDOG you saved me about $70 that I would have spent on a new motor. :p

Comment

Working...
                      X