weird no start problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird no start problem

so i went to the full serve gas station and they checked my oil and didnt replace the cap i drove it roughly 400km with the cap off so there is oil everywhere in my engine compartment and now im having electrical issues. when i turn the key all the lights go out and my car makes a noise like it is trying to spray windshield washer, the starter clicks once loudly then stops and my battery positive terminal smokes after trying to start it four times?

checked the relays and the fuses, tried hitting the starter with a hammer while someone turned the key, what should my next plan of action be? new starter? clean the engine bay connections? or possibly the ignition switch itself?

sue the service station.... make them pay for the repairs as they caused the problem and make sure they provide a rental while the festy is in the shop.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

x2! That's insane, definitely need to go after them

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
      91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

U would need the recepit, and the video proof that they did not put the cap back on. So its kinda hard bc nobodys word in this day and age is any good bc everybody wants to sue everybody over nothing. This is why I check all of my own fluids and don't let anybody work on my car. The only way to know its done correctly is if u do it.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
        1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
        R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
        00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
        03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
        pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
        Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
        Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

The receipt should be enough. Talk the the station first...
          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

If they don't admit to leaving it off, you have no recourse. I always get out of the car and inspect my engine before the hood is closed and I drive off into the sunset. I learned the hard way at Mr. Lube. What a mess under the hood of my Chevy Nova! They denied it. They said it was standard procedure to check that the oil cap is back on the valve cover. I now deny them.
            Last edited by bravekozak; 01-31-2011, 08:06 PM.

Comment

ya im not planning on going after them for repairs I learned my lesson the hardway no more service station self serves lol but I really need help getting my car back on the road as its my daily driver.

Comment

By your description of what happens when you turn the key I would guess one of 2 things.
                First clean and tighten both battery terminal connections, the clicking and no crank along with the smoke at the terminal indicate a bad connection.
                or
                Can you turn the engine over by hand? If it's siezed up it won't crank, just a loud clunk from the starter. Possibility due to oil loss.
                Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by hermit View Post
                  so i went to the full serve gas station and they checked my oil and didnt replace the cap i drove it roughly 400km with the cap off so there is oil everywhere in my engine compartment and now im having electrical issues. when i turn the key all the lights go out and my car makes a noise like it is trying to spray windshield washer, the starter clicks once loudly then stops and my battery positive terminal smokes after trying to start it four times?

checked the relays and the fuses, tried hitting the starter with a hammer while someone turned the key, what should my next plan of action be? new starter? clean the engine bay connections? or possibly the ignition switch itself?
                  Sucks man. FWIW, I would call the station, tell them what happened, and see what they say. Can't hurt.

As for your car, you're going to need to do a lot of cleaning. Pull the battery, clean the terminals. Probably also going to have to pull plug wires at the cap, and check for oil. Also probably going to have to pull the cap, and check under there, depending on how good the seal is on you cap. I don't think the fact that you blew oil all over the engine and components necessarily would destroy anything, I've seen some pretty oil caked engines still going strong. Do you have any idea how much, if any oil was actually left in the engine by the time you figured it out? Hope you are able to clean her up, and get her going.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Ask the station to get the car started for you.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

went out desmorning and turned the engine over by hand no problem, then proceeded to clean all the connections, which remedied my no-start thank you all for the hasty replies and wicked help. there wasnt much oil left in the festy came just below the L on the dipstick.

Comment

Working...
                      X