1995 Ford Aspire Speedometer not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Ford Aspire Speedometer not working

My sons car, last year he said speedometer cable making noise and the needle would register over 100mph at times when it made noise. Now the needle is off (laying on bottom of instrument cluster) and odometer not working. Tried to take instrument cluster off (all 6 screws out but cluster seems to stick and not come out and I do not want to force something). Ideas, suggestions, etc.. Is a new cable needed, new needle, etc..Can the old needle still be put on a new cable? How does the other end come out of the tranny? Need to disconnect tranny first before pulling out the instrument cluster? ideas, suggestions

To pull the cluster out you will need to unscrew the speedo cable from the trans. Then you will be able to pull the cluster out.
    '90 LX

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
      To pull the cluster out you will need to unscrew the speedo cable from the trans. Then you will be able to pull the cluster out.
      Great design ^^ lol

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
      1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
      R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
      00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
      03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
      pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
      Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
      Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Originally posted by rolsont7 View Post
        How does the other end come out of the tranny?
        You should be able to unscrew it by hand. Do not take out the ten millimeter screw near the base of where the speedo cable enters the trans. The part you need to unscrew is the fat part that goes into the top of the trans. Only on one car I needed a wrench to take it off, I think it is a 17 or 19 millimeter, but most of the time you can unscrew it by hand (it is knurled like a thumb screw for extra grip). I wish I had a festiva to get a pic, but maybe someone else does?
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I thank everyone for the information. I feel I can now get the job done. When I posted this question I thought It would take a week to get some replies. Only took less than 1 hr. I have 1 other issue. The speedometer needle is laying at the bottom of the instrument cluster still attached to the round black disc that appears to plug into the needle of the cable. Can it be placed back on the cable or am I looking at another issue such as a new instrument cluster or a new odometer??

Comment

I would try to put the needle back on and see what happens. Also lube the speedo cable with some grease while you have access to it.

If the cluster is broken you should be able to buy one cheap here on the site.
            '90 LX

Comment

You can actually pull the cluster out without unscrewing the speedo cable from the transmission.

First to know, there are two electrical connections on the back of the cluster. (left side and ride side at the top.)

Disconnect the the left side first (driver side door is closest), then wiggle the cluster sideways until you can connect the passenger side connection. This will allow you to move the cluster a bit more freely.

Now, pull it forward some and tilt the left side back into the dash. This will allow you to see the speedo cable connector to back of the cluster. There is a white ring with a hook like connector that holds the cable to the back of the cluster. You must get the the hook to come loose before you are able to remove the cluster. It's not hard, you can use a finger tip to pry it upward.

The cluster will the be easy to remove. Install in reverse order.

If the cable was making a lot of noise, then it needs to be regreased. I would suggest asking your local auto parts store what they recommend to grease the speedo cable.

To grease the cable, you will need to open the hood and find where the speedo cable connects to the transmission. You don't need to remove the cable off of the transmission b/c it's a two-peice cable. Halfway between the transmission and firewall is another metal connection. (twist together)

Unscrew this connection and you will be able to pull out the upper half of the speedo cable. Lube it generously and slide it back into the tubing.

This will help with all the noise coming from the cable.

NOTE: The bolt that holds the speedo gear into the transmission is a 10mm. The gear house has a tab that the screw goes through to hold it onto the trans. If you use this tab to pry, IT WILL BREAK OFF.

If you need more help, you can email me directly at jermnc77@gmail.com I know a lot about the Aspire! Mine is a '95 also and the body now has appx 275K.
              Last edited by Britstiva; 02-03-2011, 06:53 PM.
              www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
              www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
              Snoopy's
              4621 Atlantic Ave
              Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

Thanks for the information. After troubleshooting, the problem was the lower cable. It was broke just above the stud that goes into the gear located in tne tranny.

Any ideas where I can get a lower cable. Ford and the standard auto part stores can not get the part anymore.

Comment

from a yard, OR from a protege LX manual trans (in the yard).
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                  X