Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to re and re the windshield......yikes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to re and re the windshield......yikes.

Well, the festy revitalization is coming along.......
    To date, I`ve;

Powerwashed the engine
    Replaced the timing belt
    Replaced the leaky valve cover gasket
    Replaced the leaky oil pan gasket
    Replaced the throttle valve gasket, cleaned the throttle body
    Serviced the auto trans, new fluid, gasket and filter
    Engine oil, filter and air filter
    New spark plugs
    New front pads
    New rear shoes
    Clean and repack rear wheel bearings
    Flush and fill brake fluid system
    Working on istalling new muffler

The one last task before the beast is road-worthy, is to replace the cracked whindshield. Never done this before. I`ve done a search here on replacing the windshield, and have gleaned some info on the task, but still have some questions.

Is this the preferred tool for removing the old windshield?

Any tips to using a tool like this? Like..... do you try to cut right through the urethane in one pass, or do multiple passes, cutting deeper each time?
    What is the correct angle to hold the tool? So the upright handle is perpendicular to the glass surface? Other?? Use dish soap on the blade as a lubricant, or no?

I understand that the thin wire method to cut through the urethane is brutal and pretty much useless........

I think installing the new windshield will be easier than taking the old one out, once I get the old urethane trimmed down to the one-sixteenth inch thick requirement.

Also, removing the winshield trim..........how to?
    I have seen a festy at the wrecker with the glass already removed, and have seen the funny looking plastic clip that holds the trim in place. Looked like the clip is held in place by a pin, for lack of a better description.....looks like the head of a 2.5 inch common nail.

So how does the trim come off? Am I taking the trimm off the plastic clip, or am I taking the clip off the pin?

I`ve seen a pic of the tool needed to remove windshield trim.......kind of a thin, claw type blade tool. How does one use it?

Thanks!

So, I just watched this on youtube........

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Is that the same motion and technique required to remove the festy molding?

Comment

That's the same tool I have. Just be sure to keep it low and parallel. Don't pry up or you'll shatter the windshield.

I just use a trim removal tool to take off the trim. Go and practice on someone else's car when they are not looking. Just be careful not to bend your aluminum windshield moulding.

Comment

Working...
      X