remove o2 sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remove o2 sensor

the car is a stalk 92 GL, i did do the air box mod and since my gas milage really sucks, it was suggested to change the o2 sensor, no amount of P.B. Blaster has worked, did buy the spacial socket but still no go,any thoughts on how to get it out without thearing up the exhaust manifold threads, did install NGK Copper core plugs. The car still surges between shifts and it acts like a carb accelerator pump going bad,for instance if you are going up a hill and getting close to the top and you start to let off the gas pedal the engine starts to pick up speed. any thoughts would be welome.
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

I have had luck with driving the car and getting the exhaust good and hot and then putting the socket on the sensor and kinda pop the end of the ratchet with your hand to break it loose, most times this has worked for me.

If not heat/cool cycles while applying PB in between is another option.

In all the o2 sensors I have changed only had one that would not come out, ended up welding in a new bung for the new sensor.
    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

econoaddict, i will drive it and get it hot then try the socket, thanks for the advice. Must have had a senior moment when i spelled stock.
      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing about heating it. I'd let it partially cool, maybe try tightening it a hair before loosening it, just to help break it loose. Also, when you loosen or tighten it, hit the socket with a hammer (not super hard) to set up some vibration. This can help too.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks Tom, going out today and give it a try

Comment

Have a helper ready with a mallet. Hold the socket on real tight. Then tell your helper when you nod your head, hit it. Yeah, I know, that old line has whiskers. LOL!

Comment

Hello Sir, i have not been out to work on it yet still looking for the 24" breaker bar, it's 46 degrees today so don't realy want to miss this chance at warm weather, going to talk to the wife and see if she will help with the mallet, umm, well maybe i'll call a friend. Thanks for the thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieZ View Post
                Have a helper ready with a mallet. Hold the socket on real tight. Then tell your helper when you nod your head, hit it.
                Like this? .... :violent1:
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I had to use a cordless impact one time. I dont know if there is clearance on a festy but there was on the aspire. With rust seizing i don't know if breaker bar torque will do it. You'll screw up the cut out socket doing that, it bends with just a regular hand tool. You might have to take the manifold off and hit it with it in a vice or on the ground.
                  1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Hello Friends, the repair is done.

econoadict, Tominmo, charlieZ, Thanks for the suggestions you were all right, drove it got it hot, took all the intake tubing off, used a small propane torch to keep things hot, cut the senser wire off,tapped the 7/8 socket and 24" breaker bar into place on the senser, i used a three pound hammer [ala charlieZ] OK so this is going to work or mess it up, Smacked the bar and it came loose, changed to a ratchet, 5 minutes later old one out new one in, life is good, oh ya i did use anti seize.
                    Thanks Men

drdan, in your reply that looked to much like the wife and i so i didn't ask for help. I didn't need any more knots on my head. LOL

getnpsi, no room for an impact with the Air Con lines, took the special socket back all it did was expand and start to round off the senser, i do have extra exhaust manifolds but i didn't want to take the chance of breaking the exhaust pipe studs, as it was it all worked out for the good. Thanks Friends

Comment

Working...
                    X