Now what did i break?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now what did i break?

The winter months are hard on my festiva. But apparetly im harder on it.

2 weeks ago it was the door handle, snapped right off.

Now as i was tryingto put my drivers side window up, i hear a snap, again..

The rear section of the window goes up and down ok ish, but now the front of the window is basically dead. Luckily there is no broken glass, but its much more difficult t get the window up.

What do you think i need to replace, before i take the door apart to put the new handle in?

I will probably be doing ths friday. So if i knew what to order before then it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everybody.

Andrew
    91 Festiva L no options, not one. 92 240sx sr20det, 2012 Kia Soul Red Rock Edition.

Next time try squirting some slippery Armorall into your window tracks. That rubbery stuff drys out and stiffens over time putting more and more drag on your windows , and more and more strain on the window crank mechanism as you roll them up and down.
    Last edited by denguy; 02-15-2011, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Time for some power window winders from a Kia Pride.
      This time put some Teflon powder on the guides where the plastic contacts the metal.

Comment

you're gonna need a regulator for the window. (comon failure) and make sure the forward track didn't break loose from it's lower mount (spot weld to a braccket)
        Last edited by FestYboy; 02-15-2011, 07:02 AM.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

From the noise it gave off i thought the glass broke. Sounded like some pieces might have fell down as well inside the door. Ill have it appart this weekend. So ill snoop around then.

Thanks for all the advice.
          91 Festiva L no options, not one. 92 240sx sr20det, 2012 Kia Soul Red Rock Edition.

Comment

I'd have another regulator on hand before opening it up.
            That way you wont have to open it again to fix it!
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I think one of the two screws/bolts that hold the glass to the regulator snapped. That's what fell inside the door and that's why it won't go up evenly. It should be an easy fix.

Key word - should.
              -Zack
              Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Well, on friday i have off and the weather is supposed to be good. Ill take it apart then if im not on a road trip with the fiance. Depends on if she has off or not. Ill take pics just incase lol. Any good way to take the door off inparticular? Like window handle, then screws or what not?

Comment

First remove the window handle. There is a little clip that holds it to the door so remove that first. I use a Flat Head others say using a credit card or something works.
                  Next remove the screw in the door handle, and the screw on the bottom right of the door panel. Then the door panel has little plastic holders all around. I just take a flat head and pop them out one by one.

Then to see the regulator roll your window down until it's in a good position. Regulators are very simple to replace.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                  The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Wow. Thanks. Its pretty much what i though i needed to do. But its reassuring to hear someone else say it.

Much appreciated

Comment

Ok guys I should do an update now that ive got some work done. U guys were right. Door handle took went in in about 20 mins if that. Im now sure if the handle was from a newer model because it came with an extra white plastic attachment. But I popped that out and installed the plastic from the broken handle into the new one and it worked perfectly. The window broke the white plastic track pieces in the center. So my dad gave me some graphite and lubed up the gears. The window goes up and down easily now. At least till I can find a replacement part. So currently almost back to perfect order. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X