Wet car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet car!

My '88 LX has a bad wet carpet issue. Took to a place that specializes in finding the source of automotive leaks. The guy said conclusively that the source was the rear "flipper window" gaskets and deteriorating of the gaskets in and around the tailights. Said all is hopeless unless the rear windows are sealed shut as well as the tail lights, because he did a nationwide search and , are you ready, THERE ARE NO WINDOW GASKETS OR NOS TAIL LIGHTS!
    i.e. LIVE WITH IT. Needless to say, that's my last option.

I need some advise from the Festiva Nation! Thanks.

You can make replacement gaskets for the taillights from computer mouse pads. They work great.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

and window gasket can be found at JC Wittney through their cataloge (sp) just need to match the length and seal style.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Kia Pride Europe. Prides were manufactured until 2000. Service parts must be supplied on demand for 10 years after the end of production. Then part suppliers try to sell off their remaining stock to Kia Service while requesting permission to scrap the tooling (owned by Kia). Those gaskets may still be available over there.

Comment

Have you tried spraying the window gaskets with silicone?
          Oscar

Comment

I think I'll give the silicone spray and a really good cleaning a shot for the windows. I'll have to look at the tail lights a little more.
            The guy had kind of an attitude (another old car?). The window seal didn't look that bad - a little green. I like mousepad idea for the tail lights.

Then again, the leak tracker could be totally full of it.
            Last edited by bastille10; 02-15-2011, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Me thinks the "expert" may not be that expert.
              I've never seen a rear window seal leak unless the latch mechanism wasn't assembled properly from a previous owners tinkering (meaning the latch wont latch properly) or the seals are cutup and or nicked up.
              The rear tail lights I know degrade, but an "expert" with customer service skills would have been able to offer "custom" seals.
              Since your here, you can save your self much pain and cash by checking this link out, as has already been mentioned.

'93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I have the exact same problem with my 88lx. The back area gets wet and I couldint figure it out so I put my sub box on rubber mats and drilled a tint hole in my spare tire holder. I'm gunna look into the tailights. Couldint we just silicone the tail lights? I mean how often do u actually remove them?

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
                1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
                R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
                00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
                03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
                pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
                Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
                Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

I'm guna guess more on the taillight gasket than the window because my rear windows aren't aligned properly so they are never closed all the way and I never get wet carpet when it rains/snows etc. I think I read somewhere on here someone cutting a taillight gasket out of mouse pad and it worked pretty good.

Edit: I didn't look at Pu241's link but theres the mouse pad I was talking about, lol.
                  Last edited by JoDan; 02-15-2011, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I have never seen a Festy with bad rear quarter window gaskets, but like was said, I could see if they were tore or cut up. I'm sure someone here has a good used set or you could get some from a junkyard. If nothing else, close the windows and run a bead of clear silicone caulking along the top edge and down the sides (on the outside of the car). That would last until you find another set.

BTW, what kind of place specializes in finding automotive leaks?

"Two men and a hose"?
                    "Trikki-leaks"?

And what's their motto?
                    "This is the best place to take a leak"?
                    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Where does the carpet get wet?
                      If it's in the hatch I'd say it's the taillight gaskets. If it's getting into the back seat area or the front seat area you have another issue.
                      In my blue festiva I have a couple small rust holes in the front which get my carpet damp up front.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                      The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Mousepad fix:

90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Silicone Spray?

Originally posted by perucho View Post
                          Have you tried spraying the window gaskets with silicone?
                          There is "Silicone Spray" a lubricant, and then there is "Silicone sealant". Please clarify.

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                            BTW, what kind of place specializes in finding automotive leaks?

"Two men and a hose"?
                            "Trikki-leaks"?

And what's their motto?
                            "This is the best place to take a leak"?
                            "We find wet spots"

"Wet spots are are specialty"
                            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                            Your holy ghost will not save you.
                            Your God plutonium will not save you.
                            In fact...
                            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

"We'll find your moist spot"....... oh that's just dirty

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
                              1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
                              R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
                              00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
                              03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
                              pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
                              Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
                              Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Working...
                              X