Bucking and whining noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucking and whining noise

Hello all, well I got a bit of a scare pulling out of the drive today. I started up the car, but I let go of the key a bit too early so it almost died, not sure if that's related. Car has been sitting since Sunday night.
    Drove onto the road and shifted into 2nd and it started bucking, tried again still, tried third and same thing. Went back to first and got it into second. Started going up a hill and second bucks again so I go up the hill in first lol.
    Stopped at a gas station down the road and didn't hear anything too out of the ordinary so I shut it off and started it again thinking maybe it had to do with how I started it. Its shifted fine getting the rest of the way to school but I noticed it was making a new high pitched whining that increases when I accelerate, don't know if this is related at all.
    I'm at school right now so I don't know exact replacement times but its a 93 with 228k miles, replaced the fuel filter about two years ago I think, new timing belt and water pump, it is due on a tune up though probably.
    Any ideas/help are much appreciated.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

wining in gear or can you make the noise in nutral?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

In gear for sure, but I don't remember if it was doing it in neutral and its not doing it anymore so I can't check

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine bucks in 2nd as well, but only every now and then. Been trying to figure out what it is

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
        91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

My festiva has also been making a whining noise that goes with rpms in and out of gear. I seem to have narrowed it down to the Alternator area. I changed the Alt and it stayed around. I then changed the belt and it still makes the noise. If i remove the belt the noise stops. I have also changed the waterpump(with my timing belt) so i know its not that. I have stethoscoped the water pump as well and it is quiet. I stetho'd the alt and I can faintly hear the whine.

Im not trying to thread jack, just sounds like similar problems.

-Scott
          Aqua 93 L
          Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
          White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

After some more checking with the stethoscope, I think its possible the new alt is bad as well. Napa quality I guess. Maybe thats a good place to start?

-Scott
            Aqua 93 L
            Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
            White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

Working...
            X