Alternator swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator swap

I have an alternator from a 97 Aspire. Want to replace the noisy one in my 93 festy with it......

The Aspire alt is identical to the festy one, except that it`s 60 amp, it has a larger diameter shaft and it has serpentine pulley. The festy alt has a V pulley on it, and a tall washer-type shaft spacer under the pulley. The Aspire serpentine pulley has the spacer-pulley as all one piece.

Which vehicle.......... has a larger diameter shaft V pulley and spacer, it not already integral, that I can install on the Aspire alt?? Anyone know? Not sure if it`s a queer size or *hopefully* some standard sized item easy to locate?

Might save me some time flipping hoods at the wreckers for half the day looking.
    Thanks.

Allright.........
    Here is a follow-up on the alt swap, for those of you that are contemplating the same project..........

The Aspire alt shaft is too large in diameter for the V pulley. I could not find a large shaft V pulley at the wreckers........perhaps they exist, dunno. I gave up on using the Aspire alt.

Instead, I picked up a 70 amp MPV alt, mid 90`s, and with a minor mod it fits, direct swap. It already has the V pulley on it.

The mod I had to do, was to cut off part of the casting that holds the locking nut for the lower mounting bolt off. You need the nut, so don`t discard. The MPV feeds the lower bolt from the front to the back, and in the festy, the bolt MUST feed from the back to the front on the alt. You WILL need the mounting bolt that came with the MPV, as it it a tad longer than the festy bolt, which is too short for this swap. Ther nut that you saved, secures the bolt from the front side.

Just use a hack saw to remove the casting tab, as described above.
    Easy as pie.....hope this helps you with your alt swap!

Comment

Sounds good! I think that'll be a great upgrade in the future when I add some fog lights and perhaps a subwoofer. (there is soooo much room under the seats in the festiva...)
      -Zack
      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Pictures would have helped in your explanation!!!
        Chuck
        Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
        If money will fix it, it's not broken
        91 GL -Ol' Rusty
        93 GL - Lil Red
        91 L - Tweetystiva
        http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
        http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Originally posted by hotfordcat View Post
          Pictures would have helped in your explanation!!!
          It`s already in the car, and I ain`t takin it out for pics, lol.
          If you get a MPV alt, and hold it beside the festy unit, it will be very apperant what you`ll need to mod.

Comment

I run a capri xr2 alt on mine 85 amp. Same belt. Just had to change the plug.
            -Greg
            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
            Redneck Engineer
            FOTY - '09
            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

My xr2 alt is 70a and plug n play on my festy harness...
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by BCSpokerider View Post
                I could not find a large shaft V pulley at the wreckers........perhaps they exist, dunno.
                For future reference, the '93 Festiva has the pulley you were looking for. Also some B6/B8/BPs but not all. Couldn't be certain on the year though.
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                  For future reference, the '93 Festiva has the pulley you were looking for. Also some B6/B8/BPs but not all. Couldn't be certain on the year though.
                  My festy is a 93, and it had the small diameter pulley.
                  Checked one 323 B6 and it too was the small one.
                  I`ll keep an eye out, as I still have the Aspire alt.

Comment

I looked up a capri alt on ebay and the car application listed all these that the alt would fit

MAZDA MPV 2.6L 89-94
                    MERCURY CAPRI 1.6L 1991-1994
                    MAZDA MPV 3.0L 1989-1998
                    MAZDA 929 3.0L 90-91
                    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
                    X