Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dieseling

'89 Festiva L, 1.3L, 4-speed tranny

Ah yes, dieseling. That lovely occurrence wherein your car continues to sputter and sort of run after you've killed it. My car doesn't do this when it's cold, but once it gets warmed up and you turn it off, it just keeps going, and going, and going...

I've already run a bottle of Lucas AND a bottle of Seafoam through the fuel tank (separately, of course) and I also poured a bottle in through the carb.

None of these have made any real difference in the dieseling.

Could it be carbon deposits in the head heating up and keeping the cylinders hot enough to fire somehow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    In the beginning the Universe was created.
    This has made a lot of people very angry
    and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

-Douglas Adams

[1989 B3 Ford Festiva L]

fuel cut solenoid is stuck open, probably due to debris in the carb. Its a small, screw-in device on the back of the carb, driver's side. It has two wires going to it (black and white?) Unscrew it from the carb (watch for the copper washer that seals it to the carb), and chack to see if it moves freely. It should be spring loaded in the extended position, and easily push in w/ your finger and return out immediately. Also, spray carb cleaner in the port it came out of. To check it electrically, just put 12v to the two wires, polarity isn't important. It should click in, then spring out when power is removed. But from the sound of it, its probably stuck in the retracted position (extended position stops fuel from flowing to the main jet and idle circuit)
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Great!

I'll check into this ASAP. My only other question is this: can the solenoid be repaired or will I have to replace it?

Thanks!
      In the beginning the Universe was created.
      This has made a lot of people very angry
      and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

-Douglas Adams

[1989 B3 Ford Festiva L]

Comment

replaced. its a sealed unit.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
        X