No headlights after new starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No headlights after new starter

My son installed new starter on my 90 Festiva, now headlights won't workohsnap and "charging" dash light is illuminated. He's stumped. Any thoughts? Thanks:p

Something definitely went wrong, if the battery light is on then the battery isn't being charged. Maybe he mixed the alternator and starter cables?
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

Comment

Check the middle fusible link. They can become loose and corroded. It just my be a coincidence that the problem occured at the same time. Mine was bad and the headlights would go out and the charge light would come on.
      Here is a pic of what it looks like. If they look corroded I would suggest you replace them with the long fusible links. You can get them at any auto parts store. Most people go with 30-40-30 amp fuses left to right.
      '90 LX

Comment

Thanks y'all he is checking that right now, thank goodness for this forum, I will report back Friday!!!

Comment

I am betting on one of the 3 above fusible links popped, I will go with the one labeled "head" the alternator has a wire tied into that circuit along with the lights.
          Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
          1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Huh do report back on what you find. Sounds like a similiar problem I had with the Aspire. The charging light is on at first but if rev the engine. I never could get the head lights to work so I ran a hard line to the head light relay. The starter was loose when I bought the car. I did check all the connections but never found anything.
            91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

BINGO!! copper wire was brittle and broke, son soldered temp fix, will head to auto parts store for those fuse box thingies today, what are those called? Thanks so much to everyone, invaluable information!!

Comment

... save your money go to the jy and get those while browsing for other parts.......theyre like $3.50 a piece otherwise
                91L 5 sp, 175k,a/c ,KYB gr2,Fms Lowering springs ,13" konig's ,09 tiburon seats, 7" Pyle in.dash,kicker ds400 all around,Kicker 400.2 powering 2 Kicker cvr 10", 30k hid's, hopeful to find a xr2 to swap b6t from....

2010 mazdaspeed3 stock... for now

Comment

Originally posted by vnoyes View Post
                  BINGO!! copper wire was brittle and broke, son soldered temp fix, will head to auto parts store for those fuse box thingies today, what are those called? Thanks so much to everyone, invaluable information!!
                  They are called fusible links. And make sure to get the ones with the long legs.
                  '90 LX

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
                    They are called fusible links. And make sure to get the ones with the long legs.
                    Just to be clear.

The red and brown wire like connectors are fusible links.

The replacements for thefusible links are called cartridge fuses.
                    Most definitely make sure you get the ones which are longer, the shorter ones will not fit without serious modifications, like breaking the casing, which defeat the purpose of having a casing.
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

on the short cartridge fuses i just cut the middle of the legs
                      with a hacksaw blade to make the space between longer
                      does no damage to the fuse and works great. the short one
                      are easier to find at junk yards
                      1992 black GL
                      1991 white GL
                      1991 blue L parts car
                      1992 blue L from Japan R.H.D.
                      1948 ford conv. hot rod

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                        Just to be clear.

The red and brown wire like connectors are fusible links.

The replacements for thefusible links are called cartridge fuses.
                        Most definitely make sure you get the ones which are longer, the shorter ones will not fit without serious modifications, like breaking the casing, which defeat the purpose of having a casing.
                        Are you sure? The cartridge type fuses are cataloged as fusible links. When you purchase them the are labled fusible links. I think both are still fusible links. http://www.cooperbussmann.com/pdf/01...eb8b13d2c5.pdf
                        '90 LX

Comment

^^^
                          I suspect we both maybe right, I know when I got to the parts stores they don't know what a fusible link looks like for a fester, but they say you might find something you can use in the fuse section. And IIRC, the package with my last new "cartridge" fuse did say cartridge on it, but I do not have it to check.
                          After viewing your link above it might also have said "fusible link" on the packaging as well.
                          Just so long as he knows what he looking for at the McParts place he should be OK.
                          Last edited by Pu241; 02-18-2011, 01:01 PM.
                          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                          '92 Aqua parts Car
                          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                          Your holy ghost will not save you.
                          Your God plutonium will not save you.
                          In fact...
                          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Detail Festiva

So happy with the most realiable car in our household, I am going to detail her inside and out today as her reward!!

Comment

Karl
                              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                              X