New to Festiva's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Festiva's

Hello friends,this is a Father & Son project I'm working on. This is our first Festiva and we are in for the long haul. I have ordered a dealership manual. But it hasn't arrived yet. My first question is concerming the rear brakes. I am used to a rear drum having an automatic adjuster. But there doesn't seem to be any installed? Are you just supposed to loosen the bleeder,compress the wheel cylinder. And then install the drum over the shoes? Also what is the clip for on the backing plate? (I posted some pics). I'm trying to get the "E" Brake cable adjusted. But the jam nut is corroded badly. (I'm hoping I can get this cable from a dealer) Any suggestion's would be most appreciated!
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

E-brake is no longer available from the Dealer. I did find one from a locater at http://www.directfordparts.com/partl...D=279523764511
    It was $135+ shipping, but that was two years ago. Best bet would be [WTB] add posted here, or a local JY.
    Chuck
    Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
    If money will fix it, it's not broken
    91 GL -Ol' Rusty
    93 GL - Lil Red
    91 L - Tweetystiva
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

their was an adjuster on mine, you should have seen a small spring under the brake cylinder if the previous person that changed the brakes didn't loose is...

Comment

This is what I have I dont see anyway to manually "Adjust" the brake.

Comment

can u not get the drum back on? it will adjust it self once you put the drum on and step on the brakes..

Comment

I believe but I may be wrong (probably). Under the red spring in your picture that is that piece of metal attached to the brake shoes, if you look closely one side actually has teeth underneath. You set taht so the pad is at its maximum away from the drum, put the drum on, and I believe when you press the brakes it self adjusts out to the proper distance.

Logan

Comment

The blue spring is attached to the adjuster, the thing with teeth. Normal use should adjust it if it is working properly.

Get a Haynes manual as well. Never hurts to have several reference sources. One source might have a better explanation or better pictures.
              Last edited by TominMO; 02-18-2011, 09:34 AM.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Yep, the blue spring is attached to the combination self-adjuster/handbrake lever part. You need to flip the toothed gear over when you redo the brakes. Also, this part often requires soaking in PB Blaster for a while to unfreeze it when it sticks. When you remove it from the brake drum assembly, check to see if it moves freely. If not--soak, soak, soak. Then bang it on a cement floor some and soak it some more. Repeat as necessary till it moves freely. Then make sure the teeth are flipped over when reinstalling.

If it won't free up, then go to a 'yard and get some more (may as well pull a whole brake drum or two if you care to).

Aspire drums are the same design, but larger and usually last longer and are IMO a bit easier to work on. If you begin having a lot of problems with your Festiva stock brakes, I highly recommend the Aspire brake swap.

Good luck!

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by hotfordcat View Post
                  E-brake is no longer available from the Dealer. I did find one from a locater at http://www.directfordparts.com/partl...D=279523764511
                  It was $135+ shipping, but that was two years ago. Best bet would be [WTB] add posted here, or a local JY.
                  I just checked that site. $109.24. Shows as discontinued. Checked Greens also. Nada, zilch. Called the dealer where I bought mine a few years ago. They ran a parts search. Nope, nobody.

Part # is E8BZ2853A in case someone wants it.

Comment

Originally posted by lessersivad View Post
                    I just checked that site. $109.24. Shows as discontinued. Checked Greens also. Nada, zilch. Called the dealer where I bought mine a few years ago. They ran a parts search. Nope, nobody.

Part # is E8BZ2853A in case someone wants it.
                    Yeah, I figured they were long gone!!!
                    Chuck
                    Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
                    If money will fix it, it's not broken
                    91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                    93 GL - Lil Red
                    91 L - Tweetystiva
                    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
                    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Thanks guys that helps. I think I'm going to have to to do a little fab work to get the E Brake CABLE to adjust. I think I'm going to cut into the rectangle bracket. This will allow me to get a wrench on the adjuster. Then when I'm done I'll weld the bracket back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                        Yep, the blue spring is attached to the combination self-adjuster/handbrake lever part. You need to flip the toothed gear over when you redo the brakes. Also, this part often requires soaking in PB Blaster for a while to unfreeze it when it sticks. When you remove it from the brake drum assembly, check to see if it moves freely. If not--soak, soak, soak. Then bang it on a cement floor some and soak it some more. Repeat as necessary till it moves freely. Then make sure the teeth are flipped over when reinstalling.

If it won't free up, then go to a 'yard and get some more (may as well pull a whole brake drum or two if you care to).

Aspire drums are the same design, but larger and usually last longer and are IMO a bit easier to work on. If you begin having a lot of problems with your Festiva stock brakes, I highly recommend the Aspire brake swap.

Good luck!

Karl
                        Thanks Karl,whats the purpose of flipping the gear? Thanks -

Comment

I don't think flipping the gear adjusts your emergency brake cable. That's only for regular brake adjustment after shoe replacement.
                          -Donny
                          -1992 Festiva GL
                          B6D/E-series.
                          -1991 GL
                          BP/Broken E-Series. Working on G transmission.

-2011 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Originally posted by xaero_81 View Post
                            I don't think flipping the gear adjusts your emergency brake cable. That's only for regular brake adjustment after shoe replacement.
                            Ya Thanks XAERO I understand that about the E brake. I was just wondering. Does it turn itself over during normal break wear. Then you are required to flip it during shoe replacemant? Thanks-

Comment

Let's say swivel instead of flip. It automatically swivels as the shoes wear and yes you return it back once you replace your shoes.
                              -Donny
                              -1992 Festiva GL
                              B6D/E-series.
                              -1991 GL
                              BP/Broken E-Series. Working on G transmission.

-2011 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Working...
                              X