Need Help Quick! Rear Bearing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Quick! Rear Bearing Question

I was driving home from work the other day and my right rear brake came apart. I have all the new parts now and have the new shoes and everything on, but I'm kinda stumped on the drums. I have new drums and bearings. For the inner bearing, just the race have to be pressed in? I just set it in last night and pushed it down some, but there doesn't seem to be enough room for the seal to go on. Any help is greatly appreciated!

It does press in, there is a lip that the race will seat against when it is deep enough.
    You can use a punch and hammer to put it in, just be very careful not to mess up the surface the bearing rides on.
    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Hmmmm. Should I attempt this or take it to a shop to have done? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 88FestivaLX View Post
        Hmmmm. Should I attempt this or take it to a shop to have done? Thanks!
        You can do it yourself. I heated my drum (to expand it) and froze the race (to contract it), for maximum ease, but I've seen others do the job at room temp for both pieces. Get a large socket, the same diameter as the race, to hit with the hammer, instead of hitting the race itself.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

36mm impact socket works well for this job OR roll over to harbor freight and get a race driver kit. make sure to clean and LUBE the spindle and clean and LUBE (till it's floppy) the e-brake adjuster.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

What they said. I have two large sockets that I use for the rear bearings. One for the races, and a different one for the backside bearings. And make sure you do not over tighten the crush nut when you are putting everything back together. I have seen bearings fail quickly (talking with 10 miles here) magnificently because the crush nut was cranked down too tight. If you don't have a Hayne's or shop manual, you should definitely get one.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I have seen it where one of my bosses took an old race and welded a piece of flat stock across the opening with a handle on it. So he was using an old race to pound in the new one. Then just pull it out with the handle.
              Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

Working...
              X