Door Panels / Fuel Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door Panels / Fuel Filter

Any tips for taking off the door panels. Both windows stick like a son of a gun.
    I'm afraid I going to break the crank handle off. Esp. when wet. Seem to be alot better when dry and warm outside.
    Second - Is there a difference between the fuel filter for the carb. vs. FI.
    Mines carb, some show two on top and others show one on top, one on bottom. Thanks.

Door handles are not that bad. Either use a flat screwdriver, or the towel trick.
    Screwdriver: turn the handle so that the "closed", back side of the handle clip is visible; pry it out. You could also use the tip of a coat hanger, for example, bent 90 degrees, to pry it out.
    Towel: turn the handle so that the "open" part of the clip is visible, then use a towel to push it out.

Fuel filter: typically the carby ones are plastic; they only have to deal with about 5 psi. The FI ones are metal due to having to deal with about 40 psi. They are definitely not interchangable, according to Rock Auto part #s. You should only need one filter. Some people put two in, then when the first one fails they simply take it out of the loop and use the second one, which will still be clean.

Strongly recommend you get a Haynes manual for your Festy; it will answer a lot of questions.
    Last edited by TominMO; 02-18-2011, 09:25 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

On the door panels don't miss the one screw at the bottom corner close to the hinge end of the door.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Before you take off the door panels, try spraying and wiping silicon lube in and around your window tracks and seals at the top of the door side when the windows are down. This worked wonders for me.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Door Panel Removal-
          First remove the window handle. There is a little clip that holds it to the door so remove that first. I use a Flat Head others say using a credit card or something works.
          Next remove the screw in the door handle, and the screw on the bottom right of the door panel. Then the door panel has little plastic holders all around. I just take a flat head and pop them out one by one.

Then to see the regulator roll your window down until it's in a good position. Regulators are very simple to replace.

Definitely lube up the tracks and that should work wonders.

Fuel filter- Like said above. They are different. Get the one for a Carb Festiva
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
          The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Thanks to all - Ordered the Haynes today. Saw a 1988 Festiva shop manual on eBay.
            Might be overkill, but never too much info. Thanks Again.

Comment

spraying Armorall into the tracks helped mine crank a lot easier.

Comment

Needs some Mazola oil.
                Or, dump the armstrong handles and go with power windows.

Comment

autozone sells tools for talking window crank handles off, does wonders.
                  :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

my festie is getting power windows. im so excited and relieved.

Comment

power window and door latches are also on my to-do list....
                      Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                      89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
                      Projects in the works:
                      84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

when i am done all my options will be power, keyless entry, and either a remote starter or keyless ignition. maybe im thinking too big but it WILL happen!

Comment

Working...
                        X