No start- Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No start- Help!

I have a 90 automatic. Turn the key halfway and all the lights come on, then turn the key all the way and everything goes off. No click from the starter to engage, all lights go out and stay out unitl I return the key to the halfway position and lights turn back on. Where do I start? Thanks.
    Little Tykes

Check the fusible links on the drivers side shock tower. (look like 3 wires)
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

I have changed to the cartridge type fuses. They are all fine. Ignition Module?
      Little Tykes

Comment

I doubt the ign module cuz your losing power.It would still turn over with a bad module. Check for a loose ground.
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

Sounds to me like a very discharged battery. Check and clean cable ends. Have battery tested. Recharge battery. Does it start when you jump start it?
          ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
          #2 .....Cheesehead
          #3 '91 White - Donor Car
          #4 .....Montana Project
          SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
          Bought her back for $450
          Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

Literally happened to me today with my new festiva. All i did was clean the fusible links under the hood, and it was golden.

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
            91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

Something similar happened to me this morning. I figured because it was 19 degrees out it affected it somehow because later in the afternoon it started up with no problem.
              "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
              --Anonymous

Comment

I'd spray WD-40 into the ignition key hole to clean the contacts. It cleared up a problem I had with intermittent headlight and wiper failure.

I doubt it's the ignition control module. My car will start and run for a few seconds with a bad module.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Check and clean the battery cables and posts thoroughly. Sounds like one (or both) is very corroded and/or loose, possibly broken. Then post back and let us know if that solved it.
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I will check and clean battery and connections, clean fusible links and spray ignition with WD-40 and report back tomorrow.
                    Jim
                    Little Tykes

Comment

I think there is a switch that allows the car to be started in PARK only, and not while in gear. You might check that switch..........might be on the trans or the shift linkage....

Comment

Working...
                      X