Can't figure out fuel/idle/vaccum/whatever issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't figure out fuel/idle/vaccum/whatever issue

I have an 88 lx carb festy. When I got back from afghanistan it barely ran. While i was gone my wife put it in the shop and they fixed my oil leak, but said the carb needed to be replaced. So I bought a weber 32/36 carb and put it on. Now it is still running like a lazy old man. Sometimes she will start on her own other times I have to hold the throttle down for 5-15 minutes waiting for the idle to slowly rev up. Then when it does run I never know when she will stall out. I actually had to pop the clutch in traffic to start her back up before I got reended. The throttle response is great except when I release the throttle it will stay at high idle for as much as 5 minutes.

I have installed a new fuel filter and air cleaner. I have messed with the timing advance numerious times trying to fix this issue. I have also done everything drddan has said as far hooking up the disty advance. It seems nothing is helping this issue at all and I am at a lost and losing my patience really quick:dontknow:. If anyone can help me out, perhaps I overlooked something. it would be greatly appreciated. I got to much invested in this car to sell it, but that is my last option although it has crossed my mind numerous times. Thanks in advance.
    Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Was the carb used when you bought it? I'm not an expert on carbs but it sounds like it may need to be rebuilt and possibly rejetted.
    '90 LX

Comment

I bought the carb brand new from weber card direct and got jets for it. I did swap the jets out and the problem still exists.

Comment

I read that the diaphram for the vac advance disty can go bad. Might want to check that out.
        '90 LX

Comment

i might be down your way next week, i could possibly take a look for you...
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
            I read that the diaphram for the vac advance disty can go bad. Might want to check that out.
            So there is a diaphram in the disty? Is there a way to test it? The thought did cross my mind to replace the disty. Do you know if I can just replace the diaphram or do I need to buy a whole new disty?
            Last edited by brickdog2000; 02-20-2011, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              i might be down your way next week, i could possibly take a look for you...
              That would be great. I have the weekends off and usually get off work around 5. thats if the boss man doesnt decide to work us late.

Comment

You can take the ignition control module out of the distributor and have it tested for free at some auto parts retailers. Intermittent stalling is a symptom of a failing module. If replacing make sure the new one is bedded in dielectric heat transfer paste, the same as they put under CPU's in computers, available at electronics stores. I paid $1 for a blister big enough to do two modules.

I'd take the ignition wires off one-by-one, wipe them off, clean and crimp the ends (to ensure a good fit). I doubt your problem is in the wires but cleaning them can get rid of some engine missing. I do it at least once a year.

If you think the vacuum advance is going you can unplug the hose at the distributor and block it with your finger or a golf tee to see if there is any improvement.

Good luck.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post

If you think the vacuum advance is going you can unplug the hose at the distributor and block it with your finger or a golf tee to see if there is any improvement.

Good luck.
                  So in theory if there is improvemnet then I would need a new Distributor? Am i correct in this assumption?

Comment

Let's see. Revving the engine creates vacuum which normally advances the timing? If the vacuum advance isn't working there should be no difference if the hose is connected or not. If the vaccum advance is working there should be a difference when you connect the hose and rev the engine.

I connect my hand held vaccum gauge to the upper distributor vaccum hose to read the engine vacuum. When the hose is unplugged the engine starts to die (too lean?) but I quickly plug in the vacuum guage and the engine returns to normal.

Also, when you measure the idle speed or timing you remove the upper vaccum hose and plug it. I guess that's to shut off the vaccum advance.

Hope that helps dfiagnose the problem.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Well I guess we will see when I get a chance to mess with it again. Praying that it will be this weekend.

Comment

Pull both vac. lines from the vac. advance, put a piece of tubing on one of the ports, then suck on the other end of the tubing and if you can continually pull air thru it, you have a bad diaphragm in it.
                        1960 willys pickup
                        1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
                        1989 festiva
                        1990 festiva for parts
                        1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Thanks worfdog, I greatly appreciate it.

Comment

Well Looks like I have a bad diaphram.

Comment

Now i did some research and apparently the vaccum advance is for emissions/fuel economy. So in theory I should be able to take a distributor off a fuel injected car and put it on my festy. Has anyone tried this or know if the distributors are interchangeable?

Comment

Working...
                              X