Odd coolant leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd coolant leak

Yesterday I did a full trans flush on the Aspire. As I was finishing I noticed a noticable coolant leak at the front of the engine. It was dripping from the very front edge of the oil plan. I'm assuming it's the water pump. What's odd is it's never leaked before. Even stranger it hasn't leaked since I pulled it off the ramps. I did have the hose to the excess reservior pinched though.. I wouldn't think that would cause it though. A leak that bad I would of had to add coolant even though I've only drove it a couple hundred miles so far. A engine front end overhaul is in order this summer. Thoughts?
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

could it be the bypass pipe that runs from the water pump to to the heater core?
    Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

Comment

Didn't seem to be. I'd think that pipe would run back and drip farther back.
      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Core plug?

Comment

When the water pump went on my KL it only leaked when it was running and for a couple mins after I shut it off

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I think the leak moved further down.. not for sure the work parking lot is really stained. It doesn't leak when it's running unless it's a higher rpm. I let it idle and it stopped, only after it's shut off for a period of time. Most likely it is something to do with the water pump. .. whether the o-ring to the steel pipe or the pump itself. Tempted just to replace the o-ring and see what it does!
            91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

There is a weep hole on the water pump and if it's leaking from there either a bearing failure or a leaking seal. The pump will need to be replaced. While that is being done it is also a good time to change hoses as the system will be partially drained.

Comment

Working...
              X