Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxidation

Alright comrades,

I know there are a handful of posts out there already regarding rust, but I just wanted some quick input if possible.
    I've supplied photos to help convey my dilemma to y'all.
    Though I've not a clue what the layout is like underneath the sheet metal paneling outside, it looks to me that this rust is awfully close to the gas tank.

But as you can see, there is a pretty decent sized wound in front of the hind left wheel here. Additionally, the rust cancer has spread to the underside panel below that big hole. It really isn't more than an inch or two in diameter, but the rusting itself looks ominous. I feel that if I don't figure out a way to patch it up or get rid of it completely, I will be in a tough spot!
    *as a side note, I am going to take the car in to be checked out in a week or two...also to see what the belly rust is like*

SO the point of this post is this:

Do any of you have any cheap means/suggestions for fixing this?
    I am pretty much a n00b at car mechanics, so bear with me please.
    If at all possible, please offer me the cheapest, and most reliable method you can think of. I don't have too much money, and I'd like to try and do this myself.

Thank you all in advance!!

-0z
    1991 Festiva L "The HobbitMobile" or "The Hobbit" :cam:

Do you not understand? TO LOSE IS TO DIE!

Not to bad. totally fixable. I personally would find a junk festy at the local junk yard and cut that piece from it. Then have someone or you, cut that piece out and weld in the other or new piece. I had a bad rust spot almost in that location and patched it. I can get a pic or 2 for ya tomorrow or today ( its almost 5 am) if you would like. My body on mine looks almost mint except for that patch. The under body on mine needs some serious attention though.

Having someone weld in a piece shouldnt cost to much especially if you know someone. I personally wouldnt try body filling that or any other cheap way like that. getting a new panel welded in would be your best bet. There is some proper steps to be taken aswell to assure that rust doesnt start there again.
    Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 02-25-2011, 03:05 AM.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

That area is prone to rust because the inside and outside body panels meet and has foam to prevent noise or something but also holds moisture. Also the seam where the outside panel is bent in at the wheel well allows water from the wheels to enter the seam. I've gone over mine a couple of times, about 5 years apart. I did what I could with a wire brush, broken hacksaw blade, sandpaper and whatever to clean it up, then treated with a phosphoric acid product to deoxidize the rust, and used polyester (good) or epoxy (better) resin to seal, then painted. The last time I had to add some fibreglass backing. I added a couple coats of poyurthane on top of the paint. Every fall I pull the rubber plug in the wheel well and sparay some used motor oil in between the body panels to keep cold weather condensation from getting at the metal. All this slows down the process of rusting but will not stop it completely. If you haven't done body work before you might want to borrow a book from the public library, or there's sure to be videos on YouTube. Good luck.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I really appreciate the replies guys. The more options i have, the better. Once i get down to repairing it i'll let you know what i did and how i did it

thank you

Comment

I have that exact same problem (same side too). I'm cutting the rust out and welding in new metal.
          Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
          '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
          '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Won't it look odd though and/or obvious that you welded in a huge piece of sheet metal?

JPT, do you have access to a parts festiva for that section, or are you venturing to a junkyard?
            I don't know that there is one near me...i'll have to check, heh.
            I suppose I also have to find someone to weld it for me, should I take that route.

Comment

For the outside, I'm looking for that section (and some rocker panel) from a wrecked Festy. I have floor pan holes too. I don't care what goes there.

Comment

I'm sorry i'm pretty much a huge newbie when it comes to this stuff, but try and be patient with me, okay?
                So what you are saying is that the rocker panel is merely the outside portion of that section? I mean, you need two different pieces of metal, or what?
                As for the "floor pan" holes, I guess we can use pretty much any piece of sheet metal, eh?

Thanks JPT!

just out of curiosity...what part of the cape are you from?

Comment

^ I want those panels because I don't want to try to match the factory contours.

I'm from the Buzzards Bay area (Wareham/Bourne). I currently live off cape, but in the summer I can be found all over Cape Cod.

Comment

as they said "cut and weld" whatever you do dont try to use body filler for the whole thing..totally fixable if you want i can go to the JY and cut a peice for you and meet you somewhere and you can buy it from me...i live barely past the border in wisconsin

93 festy L "bruiser"

Comment

Originally posted by 0z0ne View Post
                      ...I mean, you need two different pieces of metal, or what?
                      It would (or could) be one piece.

Originally posted by 0z0ne View Post
                      As for the "floor pan" holes, I guess we can use pretty much any piece of sheet metal, eh?
                      It looks like any common 16 gauge sheet metal could be used.

Comment

A anvil and a hammer and any piece of sheet metal can be formed. I use the corner of my engine hoist.
                        89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                        My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Working...
                        X