Full tune-up questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full tune-up questions

I've been doing research on the ignition system for my festy. I'm ready to spend the best and only the best for my car because I know that in the end I get what I pay for.

NGK has a series of racing plugs that unlike the Pulstar brands, have been getting positive reviews and claims of actually changing the overall feel of the engine and changing how the engine behaves. I would like to go for these plugs but shopping online they range from prices going from $12 for one to $180 a set. At this point the price range is so wide, the search engine can simply be including anything with the word racing on it. NGK has a spreadsheet on their website, but it's hard to read so I can't figure out which one would fit my car. All I know is that the ideal gap for our engines is .044. If I knew which one I was exactly looking for, it would make this job a lot easier.

I also read up on a racing wire set provided by them. At first, they were only offered for motorcycles, but it seems like they created a set for the 1.6L It says it will only fit the 1.6L produced from 1999-2001. I'm not too keen on any changes made on the B6 for this year. I'm guessing not much has changed so maybe I can use it for mine?

Also, would it also be a good idea to replace my distributor? Would an OEM distributor be able to take the load from these racing components?

Also, should I go synthetic on my engine? I used Royal Purple on my 300ZX so I thought it would be a good idea to carry on that tradition to the Festy.

I know I really don't have to do this for a car that's going to get its engine swapped in for a more powerful one in the future, but I'm a man who goes above and beyond for my car. I buy the best and only the best for my car and while these components are designed for racing, it usually means they are designed to be tough and should be more than enough for daily drive duties. Also, the improved efficiency and power
    "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
    --Anonymous

Any quality plug is more that adequate. Motorcraft, Autolite & NGK V-power are all great plugs and are cheap & easy to find. I even have had good luck with the Bosch Platinum +2, but a lot of people don't like them.
    Personally, I don't think any spark plug is worth $12 unless there is a specific need for something special. Same thing goes for plug wires as well. Just buy a quality aftermarket set.

You will not be adding any extra load to the OEM distributor. As for the synthetic, the RP does have some additives that may be helpful to reduce wear. Just be careful of synthetics if your engine is well worn or has not had regular oil changes. Personally, I would just use a synthetic blend like Valvoline, Castrol or Motorcraft. Also, use a quality filter like Motorcraft or WIX or Purolator. Stay away from the Fram stuff.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Seems like I have to say this alot. No matter what kind of ignition system you buy weather its a set of 180 dollar plugs or a MSD box and coil, with a stock engine is does nothing except make starting more reliable. There is no power gain from this. Maybe, just maybe a snappier throttle response, but unless you have a full blown race engine and your playing with timing and fuel, you will see nothing more then reliability when starting. Standard NGK's and a new set of wires plus the new cap and rotor is all you need for a good fire to the chamber. Be my guest if you want the best of the best, but if you want the same reliability and to save some cash for other MODS then just replace with new components and be done. Just my .02
      Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 02-27-2011, 12:43 AM.
      89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
      My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

I buy ignition wires with the life time guarantee and keep the receipt because they could get damaged when I'm working on the engine. I've replaced a set for free once.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I use most of the OEM replacement parts except for the plugs. I use the Bosch +2. They did make a difference in throttle response on the stock B3 and the B6 swapped cars, and only cost $4.00 a plug. I don't understand why so many people say they don't like them.
          Chuck
          Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
          If money will fix it, it's not broken
          91 GL -Ol' Rusty
          93 GL - Lil Red
          91 L - Tweetystiva
          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
            No matter what kind of ignition system you buy weather its a set of 180 dollar plugs or a MSD box and coil, with a stock engine is does nothing except make starting more reliable. There is no power gain from this.
            I agree.......unless for some reason the engine is not getting a complete burn during combustion, which would mean the original components are not doing their job (either wore out or inadequate due to modifications).
            I agree that on a stock engine, stock components are all that's needed. In the case of Multi-strike however, it should improve idle quality, fuel efficiency, emissions and throttle response below 3000 rpm. Even on a stock engine.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by hotfordcat View Post
              I use the Bosch +2. I don't understand why so many people say they don't like them.
              I worked at firestone for 9 years, we did ALOT of tune-ups, they sold and stocked only bosch spark plugs. Being nice I would say we would replace more spark plugs due to warranty than new installs. Most of the time the 2nd or 3rd time back we would buy another brand from the parts house.

Since I went out on my own every week we have at least one rig towed in due to bosch spark plugs not "working". Basically if it has a misfire and bosch plugs installed 99% of the time an OE plug will fix the misfire.

Bosch plugs have there place and work great in some cars, put them in the wrong one and your asking for trouble.
              Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
              1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

NGK = No Good Kind. use Motorcraft. Don't try to second guess those engineers, use OEM parts.

Comment

IIRC factory plugs were either motorcraft or Denso
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Details on multi-strike plugs?
                    Buck.
                    -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                    -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                    -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Don't use royal purple, that oil is a joke. I ran it in my festy with no good outcome, I use amsoil now full syn and I have better cold starts, and it has much better quality. Amsoil is alos less expensive compaired to royal purple and has a 15,000-25,000 mi. Drain interval depending upon your driving style and what oil you choose.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
                      1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
                      R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
                      00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
                      03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
                      pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
                      Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
                      Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Working...
                      X