Location of speedometer wire within gauge cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Location of speedometer wire within gauge cluster

Speedometer wire stopped working last week and I finally got around to looking for the problem. Looked under the car and it seems the wire connecting it to the transmission is intact (that's where the speedometer measures the speed, right?) so I'm guessing that the problem is within the cluster. Tried dismantling the gauge cluster but when I got to it, a wire connected to the back (which I'm guessing is the one connected to the fuel meter since it's the only one working on the gauge). I really don't want to remove the ENTIRE dash just to get to a lousy wire that I may only have to reconnect. Is there a better way to get to the speedometer connection? In other news, I got my radio working again. The previous owner did some aftermarket wiring on the fuze panel near the dash and it was loose:\ )

Also, for spark plugs, do the B6 engine use the 14mm thread? I found a set of plugs I may want to use.
    Last edited by chaosdrifter06; 03-01-2011, 11:56 AM.
    "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
    --Anonymous

unhook the cable from the trans and it will let out unhook it from the cluster you will have plenty of wire to get to the back its the cable holding it in not the wire.

Comment

Also if you got long skinny arms like me, you can reach up under the dash and pull the cable out from there

Comment

Huh? Speedo WIRE? these things use a cable, if it's attached at both ends then it should work, no electrical to make the speed work

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Well I have huge arms, but I'm going to try and reach it from under the dash. I'm trying to re-connect it to the back of the cluster since it's not sending a signal from the trans.
          "There are three things that survive a nuclear war: Roaches, Chuck Norris, and Ford Festivas."
          --Anonymous

Comment

They usually break inside the tube. You'll need a new cable unless it (unlikely) came detached from either the trans or cluster.
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Working...
            X