Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Alternator? OR? - Need help!

Hi everyone,
    I was coming home last night, about a 13 mile drive. The alternator belt or the alternator itself has been squeaking, but I just figured I'd tighten the belt this weekend.

on the drive home, I noticed that the dash lights were slowly dimming, as well as the headlights. Engine was running fine until I got about 1.5 miles from home; started bucking badly, and then I did see the CHARGE light was on very dim. By this time I had almost no headlights (glad I didn't get pulled over for that!)

Made it home, got a flashlight, and looked under the hood. I thought maybe the belt had come off, but it was still there.... but I did notice under the light of the flashlight a bit of smoke coming from the alternator area (but that could be just the massive amounts of sludge and oil etc on the engine).

Went out this morning - battery is dead - but can still run the radio.,

I researched this - seems like the alternator is bad? If I replace it, does it include the regulator, etc?

I REALLY don't want to spend any money on this car anymore, but getting it running for a few more weeks would help me save for a new car.
    If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
    Mark S.

Sounds like a bad alt. to me. From my experience the alt. is all one unit and is plug and go.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

I just replaced my alternator. Litte to no experience ever doing one lol. Took about an hr to get it out considering i tried to go thru the bottom, then figured out i had to go thru the top. Remember to turn it while trying to remove it from the bay to clear other objects.

What was a tell tale sign in mine was i would press my brake pedal and id lose my radio. Not sure if that happens to anyone else, but whatever. Also figure another hr to install. I could probably do it in 20 mins now the whole swap.

ALSO. If your looking for another alt new or used make sure it has the right end on it. I ended up getting two because the first one was from a newer model year, and the plug connector was different, but then i got one from a carb car and it worked fine. Dont let the mitsubishi label fool you on the alt. I thought i had a junk yard swap, but turned out it is a mitsubishi alt.

Hope any of this helped.
      91 Festiva L no options, not one. 92 240sx sr20det, 2012 Kia Soul Red Rock Edition.

Comment

My radio also quit on the way home.

A friend of mine said it's either the alt, a bad battery, or the ground cable. I'm thinking alternator, but not sure.
        If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
        Mark S.

Comment

Check your belt first. I have had a couple of times where over time the alt bolt backed off a little, and in turn allowed the belt to loosen, just enough that it would squeal. It would still charge some, but over the course of the night (delivering pizza) I eventually had to roll the car off every time to crank it, and the headlights got pretty dim. Check the belt tightness and condition, and if thats not it, sounds like the alt is probably bad. Like Jester said, make sure you get one for a carb car if yours is carbed, and for EFI if its EFI! I guess folks have gotten away from posting their car's info in their "repair help" threads these days. Oh well.
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Yikes! I forgot about the car info!!! Sorry about that!

'88 festy L+, carb, 4-speed.

Belt is fine, and tight enough. I've had the squeaking before, and I'd go tighten the belt, but it still ran and charged, etc, unlike this event.
            Last edited by deathegg; 03-04-2011, 01:06 PM.
            Mark S.

Comment

Make sure you get a carb alt !
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

If you have a volt meter you can put it across the battery terminals with the engine idling to see if you are getting good charging volatge from the alternator, about 14.5 volts. If not you can try tightening the belt.

There is a way to tell if it is tight enough by placing a straight edge across the top of the two pulleys (alternator and water pump, engine off), pushing down at the middle with a ruler, and measuring the deflection. I can't rmember off hand what the deflection should be but it's in the haynes manual; which is at home and I am at the puiblic library just now. If the belt is too tight it will wear out the alternator bearings and it will start to squeal.

To save money you can have your alternator overhauled at an auto electrical shop or spend a bit more and buy a used alternator from a wrecking yard. I did the latter. Some time on the 'phone with the Yellow Pages will tell you how much either would cost.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I forgot to mention that the idle speed was higher than normal last night when all this was going on.
                  Also, Could it be the battery, and not the Alt?

As for a j/y alt - no j/y around here. Also I have no test equipment.
                  Last edited by deathegg; 03-04-2011, 01:58 PM.
                  Mark S.

Comment

Take the alt in for a free test, you don't have to buy theirs, that eliminates that variable. Part stores charge so much for alternators these days and because its a carby one they prob wont have it in house which is more waiting. So pickapart w/warranty it is.

Got ahead of me. Why is it going to be a partout? I saw your car like 2 years ago and didn't seem bad as you had fixed some of it.
                    Last edited by getnpsi; 03-04-2011, 02:02 PM.
                    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll take it out and get it tested.

Would probably part it out because at this point, parts are probably worth more than the car. What could I get for it as a car? It has major rust, suspension and brake issues.
                      Mark S.

Comment

Originally posted by deathegg View Post
                        Would probably part it out because at this point, parts are probably worth more than the car. What could I get for it as a car? It has major rust, suspension and brake issues.
                        The value of the car is worth more than an alternator and/or battery (although, have you checked all the grounds?) when you figure that gas prices are still going up....you can buy an alternator & battery for the price that some people are paying for their fill ups!

Comment

No, have not checked the grounds. How many are there and where?

My car has major rust issues (frame rail, floors, etc etc). To make it a safe DD, it would also need:

ALL new brakes all around (and I do mean ALL new brakes - rotors, drums, cylinders, including all new hard brake lines, etc etc etc. Brakes are SHOT.)
                          clutch
                          new tires
                          ALL new suspension parts (Again, it's 23 years old - everything is original and needs replaced - ball joints, steering rack, all tie rods, struts, bearings, etc etc etc. EVERYTHING)
                          new cv joints
                          new gas tank
                          new exhaust

Thats the start of the list. I can't imagine someone wanting it. Even if you fix it, its still a 23 year old car. Not worth it for me anymore.
                          Mark S.

Comment

You should take another trip out here and pick up another one. I skipped over count them 5 different 1988 festiva's before i settled on the ugliest 5 speed in the west. They are all still available afaik

oh look another one http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...246892632.html
                            Last edited by getnpsi; 03-04-2011, 04:27 PM.
                            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I'll be back out in July - I'll have to see what's available.
                              Mark S.

Comment

Working...
                              X