Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New festiva now doesnt start

Hey guys,
    Bought a 92 a festy out of a JY about a week ago. It is 5 speed and ran pretty good but was loud as all get out (no muffler) and the brakes are boogered. I had a little bit of a time starting it yesterday had to use some starting fluid and had a big hesitation almost went dead going into second gear but then ran fine. I went to start it this morning nothing. I tried hitting it with the juice again and poof backfire through intake manifold (pcv port) but did get it to start but it will not stay running. I jumped the fuel pump test plug and fired it up again on starting fluid, ran then died. any ideas? My fuel guage does not work so I think I am going to go get some petro in my gas can and fill it up just to make sure someone did not syphon my gas like they enjoy doing to my 3/4 ton pickup, other than that I am stumped. I can not see it being a timming issue since it will start and run fine on the juice but just not on its own...

replace the fuel filter and fuel pump sock (doing the later will give you the chance to insppect the inside of the tank for rust and debris).
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

yeah I might have to jump to that. Just odd out of all my festy's and aspires never once seen one act exactly like this but it does seem like it is not getting fuel so idk I just filled my can and will put 5 gal in the tank and see if it will not start in a few

Comment

I added fuel to it and gave it a full tank, same sh*t different day. I jumped the fuel pump test connection and could hear it pushing fuel through the rail, but it would not start. I am starting to wonder if the VAF is frozen on it because it was warm(er) and raining when I brought it home then changed to snow and got colder. It is like 10 outside right now.

Comment

Could be the VAF or VAF wiring, I've had a corroded connection one of the 7 VAF pins before that would cause an intermittent problem like you described. I'd at least pull the plug and check everything, cost nothing and doesn't take long. Another thought would be the fuel pressure regulator, might be getting fuel in the lines and sending it straight back to the tank through the return lines without ever building pressure.
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Ok I checked the terminals on the VAF looked good, I tested FP 40 psi KOEO. I went to pull the VAF but two screws are nicely cross threaded in bad locations. I tested its getting continuity and voltage from main relay to the + supply lead to the injectors. I took out a spark plug and had a gas smell to it and was wet. Like I said it would start on starting fluid but then die without a restart. FP was taken between filter and rail inlet. on starting fluid test I jumped the FP test connector. I do not know what I am missing here.

Comment

Oh forgot to mention right below the inlet for the fuel rail, there is some sort of control ontop where the electrical plug connects is a circle encased in blue with a hex nut ontop and it has some hoses going from it. I have yet to identify this but was thinking it might be the iac. It was humming with the KOEO. I am not sure what it is to know if it should be operating or not.

Comment

I believe you just described the IAC, and yes, I've had some that hum and some that don't... don't really know why the do or not, but that should affect the car not starting, just maybe it would idle too high or idle too low and choke out, but with one foot on the gas it should start/stay running whether the IAC is working right or not.
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Does it start for like half a second and then die? Could be an air leak between the VAF and the throttle body. Mine did that and I checked everything. All was fine. Then I noticed a crack in the intake tube running from the VAF to the throttle body. A couple of wraps of duct tape and all was fine again.
                  Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                  '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                  '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

you still didn't change your filters!?!?! you're not helping yourself here.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Why change the filters if I am getting the specified psi? The guage is telling me I am getting fuel flow. Honestly the sock in the tank isn't plugged I seen it about a month b4 this when I pulled the pump. And no I havent changed the fuel filter yet. I think I am going to button her up tomorrow and check the injectors are clicking while cranking it. And without starting fluid no it just cranks doesnt even caugh. with starting fluid it will start and run until it burns all the starting fluid up. I know its getting fuel to the rail after taking the line off after it sat for hours and watched gas go every where, couldnt find my mightyvac to open the FPR. so I know its getting spark, I assume its getting air but couldnt inspect the VAF, and the dang plugs smell like fuel but cant verify the injectors are clicking yet.

Comment

just because you have pressure dosen't mean you're getting FLOW and lack of FLOW can cause a no-start like you describe.

also check your EGI fuse and check for battery voltage on one side of the injector plug (use a digi multimeter).
                        Last edited by FestYboy; 03-08-2011, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Ok i got it to start. my VAF was sticking, changed it from another festiva and it fired right up even on 3 cycl (forgot spark plug was off #4 from checking plug for fuel). Thanks guys!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X