bogging 88 carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bogging 88 carb

Got a 88 L runs good when get it to start but bogs when try to give allot of gas fast then it catches its self and revs up fine. I have had the carb rebuilt but still does the same thing. Any ideas?
    Thanks

vacuum leaks!!!!!!
    It's Not Much To Look At, But It's Still Funny To See The Look On Their Faces When They Catch Back Up To You At The Next Light!

Comment

Try misting hoses with engine running. Leak should bog engine.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

^^ or starter spray and it will rev
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

No vacuum leaks. Already have done this stuff lol
          only lines i have that are from the air cleaner because i removed it and put a aftermarket on it.

Comment

im sorry to intrude while your having problems but what after market stuff do you have on a carbie festy?
            It's Not Much To Look At, But It's Still Funny To See The Look On Their Faces When They Catch Back Up To You At The Next Light!

Comment

timing?

Comment

It has just a small air cleaner that's it.
                Don't think it is timing never messed with it. It has done this ever since i got it and i have swapped a newer motor into it and still have the same problem with the bogging. I think it is the carb but don't have another one to try on it. Have not been able to find one close to me.

Comment

Spray some cleaner or run propane around where the throttle shaft goes in/out of the base plate.
                  These areas get worn and when people "rebuild" the carb none that I know of rebush the worn area in the throttle plate, this can cause some bad vac leaks.

Also possible the accelerator pump wasn't replaced? if bad you will get a bog when stepping quick on the throttle. or one of the feed/exit passages to the accel pump is clogged not allowing enough fuel to operate correctly.
                  Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                  1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Make sure the accelerator pump in the carb is working. Take off the air cleaner, prop the choke wide open, and look down into the carb while you open the throttle wide open with your hand - engine off. You should see a squirt of gas like from a kid's water pistol squirt into the throat of the carb. If you see nothing or just a small dribble, there is something wrong with the accelerator pump on the carb.
                    You gonna race that thing?
                    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

^ that's where i would start as well.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The pump was replaced. It squirts but not like a pistol like festy46 says should. I have pulled it apart and cleaned the tube and the car ran allot better but a few days latter it started doing it again. The tank is nice and clean i have cleaned it and still can not get it to run right.

Comment

When you had the accelerator pump apart, was there a spring under the diaphram to push it back so it could get a full load of fuel? If the spring is broken or missing, the pump can't get a full volume shot of gas loaded into the chamber to shoot into the carb. Sometimes they install a "G" spring under the diaphram and when you take it apart, it flies somewhere causing you to say "gee, where'd the spring go?" - and you put it back together without the spring.

Comment

No don't remember losing a spring but might of not been their before since not sure if some one had messed with it or not.

Comment

The spring in the accelerator pump is in a compressed form when the pump is assembled. Anyone removing the pump assembly and not paying attention could easily allow the spring to go flying somewhere. Like I said in my previous post, without the spring you won't get a full shot of gas. It would be like trying to pump up a tire with one of those "T" handled manual tire pumps and you're only pulling the pump rod halfway up.

Comment

Working...
                              X