Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Beam

Hey, Im new to this forum.

I have an 89 Ford festiva, manual trans, 2BBL Carb.

Im trying to get it all fixed up for inspection right now.

The high beams dont work right now.

Low beams do work.

If I push the switch foward to where it would engage into the high beam switch the headlights just go out....low beams are off(normal), and high beams dont come on.

If I hold the switch back(where the hi beams come on as long as you hold it back) they work just fine, but obviously going back off as soon as you let go.

I havent done any diagnosis yet....but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this same problem or have any ideas of what I should do to fix it.

Thanks a lot!

Re: Hi Beam

Sounds like you might have a defective high beam switch.

When you push the stalk forward to engage the high beams, does it click into place?

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Yep it clicks into place fine.

Whats the part name to replace?

I've looked at advanceauto but cant seem to find the right name for it?

Comment

Are you sure the high beam section of the bulb is not burned out? Bulbs have 2 filaments a high and a low beam filament. I have had both high beam filaments burned out before.
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

yeah the bulbs work because when I pull the switch back the high beams come on.....just not when I switch it foward.

Comment

I think I finaly found a site that sold the headlamp switch.....$50.

Thats pretty expensive for a $400 car

I think I may just take it loose and try to clean it up....see if that will fix it.....or just rig it to work as it can be pulled back to make the hi beams work.

Comment

Go to a 'yard and look for a first gen Mercury Tracer. I believe another member has tried those turn signal modules in a Festiva and they work. You'll not only fix your high beam problem, you could also upgrade to intermittant wipers! Shouldn't cost you more than $25 or so...

Someone please confirm this!

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I went to take it all apart today to have a look at it.....all teh metal contacts seem real messy......

am I going to have to remove the steering wheel to actually get it off?

Comment

Yep, you have to remove the steering wheel first.

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I got my problem fixed!

I figured I would post if for the sake of anyone who cares, and ofcourse anyone who actually runs into the problem themselves.

I took the steering column off, then the steering wheel.

I got the switch taken apart and there was a lot of grease here, there and everywhere. So I cleaned it all up woth a paper towel and some windex(cheap electrical cleaner!).

After that I put it all back together and it worked!

Got it inspected and it failed for stupid stuff....parking light bulb, a wiper and the headlights need adjusted.....oh well I have 15 days to fix that stuff.

Thanks a lot for all the help!

Comment

Working...
                    X