Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tranny Reverse / back - up light lamp switch same for festy and aspire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny Reverse / back - up light lamp switch same for festy and aspire?

mission: help others fix their back-up lights cheaply, easily. My backup lights didn't work when I bought my red festiva and I was able to splice and crimp them back together. I haven't looked under the tranny yet to see but they're back to "not working" again. I know of an aspire at PNS and I got to thinking if we could use the B/U switches from them?! sooo...tricky and long question... are any backup switches compatible between auto / manual and also between festiva and aspire?

here's 3 pretty good threads that I've found on here (but the don't answer my questions above) pertaining to backup switches, etc:

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

the only sites I was able to find the backup switch for sale (found with google shopping) are these two:

below - I made "seemingly non-compatible" switches in "smaller letters" so that the part numbers are still offered and color coded the same ones for each festiva and aspire.

part numbers:
    FESTIVA:
    (manual)
    F2235 (88923342) 96-97 & 2 wire 1 plug; switch ASM & b/u lamps
    (auto) ~none specified~
    (unidentified trans)
    SWE2158 (E8BZ15520-B) 95-97 & 2 wire 1 plug; switch ASY tran & b/u lamps; per vehicle: 2

ASPIRE:
    (manual):
    F2235 (88923342) 96-97 & 2 wire 1 plug; switch ASM & b/u lamps
    F2236 (88923343) 94-97 & 4 wire 2 plug; switch ASM & b/u lamps
    (auto) ~none specified~
    (unidentified trans)<<IDK what the two below are - what's ASY?>>
    SWE5031 94-97 & 4 wire 2 plug; switch ASY tran & b/u lamps; per vehicle: 4
    SWE2158 (E8BZ15520-B) 95-97 & 2 wire 1 plug; switch ASY tran & b/u lamps; per vehicle: 2

some thoughts:
    1. is it safe to eliminate the ones that have two plugs or can you bypass it by just not using the extra plug?
    2. What are the meanings of ASY and ASM?
    3. is it accurate info that the aspires have 2-4 switches per vehicle?! that's insane!
    4. looking at the plugs on the ones that are said to be compatible, that doesn't look like the right plug? generic picture of a back-up switch? Or is that altogether the wrong thing to get?
    Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

According to autozone's website, the festiva is part #F445 and the aspire is part #F446. So it's a no go unless you rewired them. But as far as direct fit, the two are different.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

I've got some aspire, festiva, and G25 tranies... we could check tonight maybe. I don't remember if I left the aspire reverse sensors in though, b/c i disassembled those quite some time ago.
      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

I'm pretty sure the only differences in the two parts will be the plug end. If fact I'll take that a step farther and say the same thing for the differences in the neutral safety and the backup light switches. Same thread size and pitch, same function, just a simple open/close device. imo
        I've got a couple extra by the way.
        97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
        CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
        Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
          I'm pretty sure the only differences in the two parts will be the plug end. If fact I'll take that a step farther and say the same thing for the differences in the neutral safety and the backup light switches. Same thread size and pitch, same function, just a simple open/close device. imo
          I've got a couple extra by the way.
          I agree with the size and fitment. and functionality between ALL of the switches except if I remember right, they're "opposite" so if you put a neutral safety switch into the backup light spot it'd be ON all the time but only OFF when you are in reverse. lol. but certainly run a search for that because if we could use those two it'd be great

and doyler you are right, they're different. but IMO the ONLY difference is the fact that for the aspire they made it a "COMBO" switch and added two more wires for whatever switch they got rid of. that info is in one of the threads I added but I'm not searching through all that right now. lol and that's why I'm asking if we can use that switch and ignore plugging that blue wire connector into anything and get away with it.

nate, I may run to PNS before I come over and get the one out of the auto aspire
          Walth

Comment

okay, so apparently there's a switch that isn't listed in all of the ones I've seen online. and the 97 aspire back up combo switch I pulled won't work. lol.

I'm pre-concluding that you can 99.999% use any of the switches (even the 2 connector) as long as it has the small oval connector. It shouldn't matter that the "T" connector isn't connected to anything.

the problem with the one I pulled yesterday is that it is positioned in the same area, but it's mounted vertically on a "step out" instead of what we're used to seeing with it being inside the case and horizontal. I should have grabbed a pic with my phone and I may do that next time I'm in the yard.

some pics

I compared the two in the second pic there (100_6693) and the normal switch is on the bottom, abnormal top.

here's a good one for ya with the T and Oval for an aspire: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-97...Q5fAccessories
            Walth

Comment

so...the auto aspire mount for the backup sensor mounts the same as this sensor in my 93 auto (pictured here - looking down almost straight up: http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/p...y/100_6696.jpg)

the 97 auto aspire had the all inclusive connector whereas my 93 auto festiva has the dual connectors (Oval & T) but both have the same "mounting" style (straight up - as pictured above) and I'm assuming that my 93 festiva has the same "sensor" part of the switch.

93 auto connectors: http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/p...y/100_6697.jpg

so maybe we can only use the simple switch with the stubby sensor. stinks...I need some more pics, better info before we decide better...The only way that might change is if I can remove that switch and see what kind of threads and ball tip it has. those hard lines (on the end of the trans? weird) are in the way

any thoughts?
              Last edited by walth; 03-12-2011, 04:06 PM.
              Walth

Comment

so the last time I was at the yard they had just got rid of like 3-4 rows of cars and in the past 2 weeks have filled them up. quite a few mazda's including 323's, protege's, millenia's, etc. I was able to go today but I only had like an hour and a half and I got two brand new 14" tires, a used 13" tire and a nice stubby antenna for 40 bucks.

well, anyways, the next time I'm down there i'm going to compare some more of those automatic reverse switches. it really stinks though because not ONE of those new mazda's is a manual...I really hope it's just a manual vs auto situation with these switches. oh well
                Walth

Comment

idk why my above links to my pics are gone / moved. stupid.

here's a link for two switches: http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/p...y/100_6693.jpg

top is auto
                  bottom is manual

auto switches AFAIK are mounted pointing straight up
                  manual switches AFAIK are mounted pointed towards the front bumper

auto switches will likely only work with auto trans whether festy or aspire
                  manual switches will also likely only work with manual trans either way.

one would have to try a festy one in an aspire. the aspire plunger that makes contact is about 1/16" longer on the aspire than on the festiva switch.

however, I installed the aspire 4 wire / 2 plug switch in my festiva the other day and it works great. I'm going to solder the wire that broke on mine because there's only about a 1/2" left of wire. hope for a permanent fix
                  Walth

Comment

Working...
                  X