5 speed aspire trans help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 speed aspire trans help

It's a bad day, I was coming out of a parking lot in 2nd gear with the clutch pushed in and went to shift down, and then it shifted weird like something came loose. Then it lost all gears and no H pattern, shfiter was free floating.
    This is what I found out:

I see the ball socket off the shifter came out somehow, and there's a bearing about to shell itself, but I don't see any other problems. But I don't know anything about transmissions, any transmission experts see what I'm missing. I haven't a clue why the bearing would just decide to go out without some help from metal shavings.
    (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Here's what I found after further disassembly

This doesn't look right, so the spider gears got crunchy and then the bearing wore down allowing enough endplay the let the shifter socket come apart.

Comment

well at least you didn't grenade the case, and 1 bearing and a set of spiders is fairly easy to get and replace.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Oooh..ouch! Looks like some loose metal got to those gears.
        If replacing the spiders, give the tranny a thorough cleaning inside first.
        Last edited by drddan; 03-10-2011, 06:50 PM.
        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I was thinking about using some diesel fuel to clean it up, not sure if that hurt anything, like clucthes, bands, syncros ?

Comment

youve got a manual. no clutches or bands. get a new set of synchros also. and i'd replace all the bearings while you have it out, including the pilot bearing in the crankshaft.

rinse with diesel, or gasoline. i prefer gasoline

for a super deluxe job, resurface the flywheel, and replace clutch

Comment

Working...
            X