No announcement yet.

How to install a master cut off switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to install a master cut off switch?

Since I relocated my battery to the back I have to have a cut off switch that kills the car and all electronics. I know it's kind of a pointless rule on a 17 second car.

How would I go about installing this? I also don't understand why I need an inline fuse?

From what I've read
    1) Disconnect alternator
    2) Run a cable from alternator to the cut off switch
    3) Run the battery to the same place as the alternator
    4) Connect the wire that takes the power to the front of the car to the ON position on the switch

It's this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-1032/

Is that pretty much it?
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

i'm thinking that having the cut off on the ground side would be much easier. gang all your grounds together before the negative terminal install the switch at that point and then continue to the battery terminal. once you kill the ground, it's all over.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
      i'm thinking that having the cut off on the ground side would be much easier. gang all your grounds together before the negative terminal install the switch at that point and then continue to the battery terminal. once you kill the ground, it's all over.
      That is a lot easier but it's not legal.
      14 C7 Z51

Comment

^^legal as in street legal? Or for the track?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
          ^^legal as in street legal? Or for the track?
          Legal for the track.
          14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
            Legal for the track.
            thats what i figured but just had to check lol.... i get lucky and they've never complained at the track about my battery in the trunk not having a kill switch, but then again they've never checked where my battery is lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
              thats what i figured but just had to check lol.... i get lucky and they've never complained at the track about my battery in the trunk not having a kill switch, but then again they've never checked where my battery is lol
              Same here.
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

ive been through the same issues, i ran it on the ground side and have never been questioned at tech. Even after opening the hatch and looking it over, they kept on going like everything was fine. i mount mine in a sheet-metal plate with bolts and wing-nuts in the place of the left side tail-light. with the main harness disconnect right there its quick and easy to remove at the track, and no permanent damage to the body to install the switch. And plus, no switch exposed for just anyone to switch off and you stuck wondering why there is no power.
                Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Working...
                X